Should I try to save them???

Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question regarding abandoned fish,I think they are Koi. They are in a garden pond in the yard of a home that has been foreclosed on. They have been unattended since November. I have fed them a couple of times all I had was goldfish food. I do not own a pond yet so I know nothing about this subject. Here is the question...If I nab the fish and put them in a plastic kiddie pool without any pump or filtration will they live until August so I can transfer them to a real garden pond(my house will not be ready until then.) I can place the pool under the trees,I live in North Texas where it is 110 in the shade. Do garden ponds have to cylce like an aquarium does? I don't know wheather they are better off where they are or if I will kill them all trying to save them. If is o.k. to do this do I need to do water changes? Oh yeah if I go to jail will someone come get me?:banghead3:

Reaction score
I will answer your question! :icon_mrgreen:

Yes. Try to save them. I would, but I'm weird that way. Being that I am new to the koi scene, I cautiously suggest that you might try to set up some sort of aeration/filtration system for them. How big are they? Is a baby pool deep enough? Maybe Rubbermaid containers would work better, since they're deeper and the water won't heat up as fast?
If they are goldfish, they'll be really easy to maintain as long as the water is clean. Koi, I think, are a little trickier. Do they have little moustaches? That's how you can tell if they're koi.
If you have apond store nearby, perhaps they can give you some advice. I would stick them in a suitable container of dechlorinated water, maybe throw in an aquatic plant or two and feed them. If you can hook up a pump to aerate the "tank," that certainly won't hurt them.
Sorry - don't know that I've been that much help... I would say go for it and let us know what happens!

Reaction score
Thanks Ginny...I think I will give it a try, guess it can't be any worse than the conditions they are in. I appreciate your insight and replying to my question. I hope I can save them. I can't remember if I mentioned it in my question, but I have fed them a few times so maybe it will work out. Thanks again:goldfish:

Reaction score
No problem.
Like you said, if they've survived this long, they can't be any worse off in temporary housing!

Bless you for looking out for them. Poor fishies.

P.S. forgot to mention that goldfish are supposedly the "dirtiest" fish. Partial water changes to counteract the ammonia from goldfish pee are critical. Until I got my new, deeper pond, mine overwintered indoors in a tank and they were none the worse for wear. All I had was an airstone, no fancy filtration system.

Reaction score
How big are these koi? That will make a huge diffence on what kind of a setup you have. If you do keep them you can bury a kiddle pool in the ground to help keep the temp down in the summer. Cover the pool with chick or rabbit fence to keep them from jumping out which koi will do in shallow water. You need an airpump. You can even make small filter system with a pump, flowerpot and filter media ,or lava rock. Email me for details on how to make a simple filter.
Richdeer3 Pond Supplies
Educating and Equipping Pond Enthusiasts
Http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com
(e-mail address removed)

Call Gail at 641-750-3062 8am-8pm CST

Reaction score
I'd just like to say: if you live in a country area. I live in a forest -raccoons love to fish. The water in this
case has to be at least 3' deep because as someone told me (after losing 3 fish) raccoons will go in the water but they won't
put their heads under water. Since making the pond a little over 3' deep in one area of the pond I've kept all my fish for some
years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get a stock tank if they are small and buy a cheap pump .As for saving them yes .I don't know what temps you are in as if it is winter then they are slower but if it is warm ,I would not feed them unless you have the proper food for that temp. .Like spring and fall now .They don't eat much in the winter months and you could spike all the levels to go up ,like ammonia and ph

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze shame they keep popping up .But it does help people who have houses around them that have been foreclosed on and there are ponds .I have taken lots of them out for realtors here and they are all those little preformed ones .

Ask a Question