Showcase Improvements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've made this thread to get feedback on the existing showcase section and things we can do to improve it :).

Speed of image loading has been mentioned a few times, so I'm looking into buying some software that will resize and optimise the images that have been uploaded to make things much faster. I've asked the software developer some questions about how it works, but if a couple of features are added that work with the plugins we're using here then I may go for it and see if it improves things.

I'd be interested to hear what you think, as I think the showcase section could be extremely popular.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would like to see in the image gallery have arrows for next and back instead of clicking on each picture. You have on the arrows on the film strip but not for the main viewing area.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you can and can't do with it, but I'd like to see the showcase titles a little cleaned up if possible. For instance, instead of being able to add any title like it is now, it would instead default to my username and also which type of pond I have, which could come from a selection list with options like "Goldfish Pond", "Wildlife Pond", "Koi Pond", & "Garden Pond".

For example, instead of being called "JB's Pond" like it is now, it would be called "JBtheExplorer's Goldfish Pond" or "JBtheExplorer's Garden Pond" depending on which option I think fits better. I'm using my own as an example, but it would really be great for finding other users' showcases. Right now there are a lot of different titles and its not too bad, but can get confusing. If I randomly pick out a forum member such as... tbendl, and I want to see her showcase, it can be hard to find in the list with a title like "The little hole that could"

I also hope the pond showcase becomes more popular. I'd like every forum member to have one and share everything from how they built it to what kind of plants they have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would like it if a person with a showcase had an option of linking directly to a specific picture in their showcase if, for example, there was a discussion about a specific piece of equipment or a construction method - instead of posting the same picture numerous times.
I would also like to be able to condense my pond thread into a more organized format, like the showcase.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would like it if a person with a showcase had an option of linking directly to a specific picture in their showcase

What I do is right click on the image, click "copy image URL" and paste it in the Image URL option of a post.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't have any issues with images loading, but I agree that navigation could be improved. I really need to work on my showcase - it's pretty lame!

But I LOVE this site. I have learned so much and seen so many great ideas! Thanks to all who are better at sharing than I am!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to be working on this over the coming weeks :). I'm not sure I can restrict the showcase titles very easily, but I've added a "showcase ponds" link to the info area under the username on each post - this should make it easier to find a members pond :D.

It sounds like the gallery part needs the most improvement, so that's where I'll start work :D.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need time...................can you get me some of that? I started one, just have not gotten around to working on it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure I can restrict the showcase titles very easily, but I've added a "showcase ponds" link to the info area under the username on each post - this should make it easier to find a members pond :D.

Thank you! I like that a lot.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished writing a script to re-compress images on the forum, so it's running now and should mean that the showcase (and other areas of the site) are faster for those that were having problems. There's still a way to go for some of the images, but it's a good start for now until I get to the next phase :).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I tried viewing 2 showcase items - RobAmy and Ozarksguy.
RobAmy's loaded all the pictures at once and took quite a while but Ozarksguy only loaded 1 picture and had a filmstrip that you could click on to see more pictures.
I'm still unsure as to how to really navigate the whole showcase area. I started by clicking on the Showcase tab at the top of the main GPF forum window.
Maybe it's just the design of the overall forum software.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I tried viewing 2 showcase items - RobAmy and Ozarksguy.
RobAmy's loaded all the pictures at once and took quite a while but Ozarksguy only loaded 1 picture and had a filmstrip that you could click on to see more pictures.
I'm still unsure as to how to really navigate the whole showcase area. I started by clicking on the Showcase tab at the top of the main GPF forum window.
Maybe it's just the design of the overall forum software.

Yeah, that's just different ways that each member have listed their entries. RobAmy has also linked to external images and attachment which have then all been inserted to the showcase editor, whereas Ozarksguy has uploaded them to the gallery so they all display in a filmstrip (which can be clicked on). The latter is the way I had envisaged things working, as it makes it lighter to load. If @RobAmy doesn't mind then I could edit out the list of images so that it appears in the slider? When the showcase was first added the gallery appeared on a separate page, so I can see why they would have been inserted on to the first page manually :).

Ask a Question