siting of filtration equipment in relation to the pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to hide my filtration equipment behind a summer house which approximately 5 metres from the pond how would this affect pump performance and what type of piping would be best .I am thinking of using rigig plastic such as downpipe which will be buried.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Any distance decrease performance by increasing head height. Add any elevation along with the distance and it multiplys it. There are many calculators available for such things with a Google .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a filter set up like that , I used the largest pipe size on my pump output,
Then I use gravity with multiple 2" hard pipes , the 30 plus feet back to the ponds

Reaction score
Whether you will notice it or not all depends on how powerful your pump is and whether you are pulling the water to the filter of pushing it. In most cases you want to push the water. In addition to the distance any turns in the pipe can slow the flow down. I'm not sure what you mean by "down pipe". If you mean downspout gutter pipe that would not work. My head is 20 feet and I push my water up hill 50 feet through a 2" pipe. Even then I need to adjust the valves to slow the speed and volume down.

Ask a Question