Skippy filter question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
Hi, new here.
am building a 1,500gallon koi pond with a 2,250gph submerged filter that should deliver 1,500gph to a 100gallon rubbermaid skippy filter above waterfall.
question is: skippy calls for a 1" reducer at inflow. necessary or not?
i am running a 2" pipe from pump to the skippy. can i make the skippy with 2" piping?
thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
thanks koiguy. i read your post earlier.

i'm trying to maintain volume flow and don't want to restrict the flow
will skippy be okay with 2" piping throughout with 4" exit?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
The problem with the 4" flanges is... They waste space in the filter. Weirs go right up under the lip. Allowing a lot more volume than the 4". Especially when the Flange has to go on the middle teir of the tank... 150 gal tank reduced to 50 gal filter. I believe that's with the new style tank.... notice water will start leaving filter about 1/2 way down...a lot of filter volume wasted. 2nd pic is a weir...utilizes the whole tank!
newtank20.jpg

post-1457-131183709944_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could put a 1/4 bend in the flange in side the stock tank and hold as much water in the tank that you want
You don't have to glue it that way you can turn it to adjust the water height

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
You could put a 1/4 bend in the flange in side the stock tank and hold as much water in the tank that you want
You don't have to glue it that way you can turn it to adjust the water height

thanks, is good idea using 1/4 bend extension inside to outflow from higher level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
don't know about hydro-physics.
i want to maximize head lift, without compromising filter efficiency.

a 2,150 pump w/20' max. lift with 5' total head reduction for 16"wide wier? gotta maximize efficiency. makes my head ache. lol.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah, skippy is a frog. or was, I don't know if hes still alive... anyways the skippy filter is named after that frog. the business that originated the skippy filter is called Beautiful Ponds and Gardens. the owners are the Laskeys. I just happen to kind of know them. but haven't been down that way for years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with the 4" flanges is... They waste space in the filter. Weirs go right up under the lip. Allowing a lot more volume than the 4". Especially when the Flange has to go on the middle teir of the tank... 150 gal tank reduced to 50 gal filter. I believe that's with the new style tank.... notice water will start leaving filter about 1/2 way down...a lot of filter volume wasted. 2nd pic is a weir...utilizes the whole tank!
newtank20.jpg

post-1457-131183709944_thumb.jpg
What is a “ Weirs” ? I agree about wasted space when using the precut round hole. Trying to find something that will work for the output water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I thought same thing. So I put a 4" pipe through flange. Then in tank put 90° elbow upwards with a short riser piece of pipe. The water now rises almost to the rim, then flows out down the pipe.

Ask a Question