SNAKES IN MY POND!!! :(

Reaction score
Hi all, this is the second year of my goldfish pond- Does anyone know how to get rid of snakes? They're gardener snakes, and they don't bother me at all, but i don't want them to eat my fish. they like to hide in the rocks around my pond, and i don't know if it would be smart to put moth balls around my pond? Any ideas? Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
moth balls will keep them away or snake away ,you just have to make sure it does not get washed into the pond and when it rains you have to replace the product

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a rat snake hanging around as long as it eats mice etc it is welcome to stick around.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Garter snakes rarely eat fish. They are after the lizards and frogs that are coming to visit. Garters and King snakes put off a scent that discourages other snakes from the area. So getting rid of them COULD actually attract other snakes to your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
You could try...

stpatrick.jpg

Sorry, 8 years of catholic school humor :D

A friend of mine had trouble with snakes. he killed 2 and beheaded them laying them out to be seen. A week later they were gone.

Reaction score
My yard is out of control with garter snakes. They have been here for years.... i just leave them be. I have yet to see them harm anything besides the occasional wife scare haha. I have had koi and gold fish since babies in my garden pond and they have never been touched.

Attachments

• 10452835_10152480952740935_7069901071439831221_o.jpg
    10452835_10152480952740935_7069901071439831221_o.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 470

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My yard is out of control with garter snakes. They have been here for years.... i just leave them be. I have yet to see them harm anything besides the occasional wife scare haha. I have had koi and gold fish since babies in my garden pond and they have never been touched.
Wow, Got more pics of that variety? Where are you located. I have a friend of mine that has been collecting pictures and educating his daughter on all the different species of snakes. She's 5 years old and has probably handled more snakes than most people see in their life time. She has a great fascination and if she continues on her path she will be a strong advocate of protecting snakes in the future.

Reaction score
i see garter snakes all the time at the cabin pond with frog legs hanging out of their mouth. Not in my yard I hope. i've never (yet) seen the snakes in the water.

Reaction score
I had an issue with water snakes in my creek about a month ago. They would eat all of the minnows! I took a steel minnow trap and baited it with bread, then submerged the minnow trap. The minnows went in and ate all of the bread, then the snakes would go in looking to eat the minnows. In the end, they can't get out of the trap, and would end up drowning from lack of air.
I'm not sure that garter snakes eat fish though. I didn't even think they went into the water! I guess it depends on how big the snakes and fish are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I could use a few chipmunk eating snakes in my yard! If one more person tells me how cute they are... yesterday one of the furry little beasts took ONE NIBBLE out of EVERY ONE of my cucumbers! Dug up my lilies, snapped off a pepper plant that was loaded with blossoms, dug up my newly planted sedum just for the fun of it... the list goes on. He and I are at WAR! Bring on the snakes!

Reaction score
Wow, Got more pics of that variety? Where are you located. I have a friend of mine that has been collecting pictures and educating his daughter on all the different species of snakes. She's 5 years old and has probably handled more snakes than most people see in their life time. She has a great fascination and if she continues on her path she will be a strong advocate of protecting snakes in the future.
Im in sandusky Ohio. yeah i take a picture every chance i get. . i do have others.
snake2.jpg

Ask a Question