So I just returned from vacation and...

Should I have used vacation feeder?

• Of course you idiot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just returned from 10-day vacation. Surprisingly the algae issue mentioned in a previous thread now seems to have cleared...or ...water is as clear as I've ever seen it. But now all 8 koi/goldfish are acting sort of strange. They are all huddled near the bottom and not coming up to eat when I feed them like they normally do. :( They dart and dash around for a few seconds, then huddle together at the bottom again. Very strange. I don't know if they've always done this and I just wasn't able to see them or if something is wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They might saw something that spooked them while you were gone. Also, depend on hoe long you were gone, you just might have to get them to use to you again. I dont feed my fish. Kinds miss the fish coming up to me but when I want them to, I feed for a few days and then they remember me again :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree, they could be spooked. Either a predator was near, while you were away, of your sudden presence alarms them. I imagine they'll get used to you soon enough.

I've head of ponds where gold fish are never fed, as they forage well for food. Eight days without food, for koi, might be a little long.....JMO though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Fishes have short memory , when we watch them everyday they get fond of us , if u add a new fish she will b shy or scared , after few days she will recognize u as "not threat" but if u stop for few days there memory is reset . i noticed this behaviour many times if i dont see them for few days ,specialy in winter when i would stop feeding and they would stay low they would behave scared running around

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree it sounds like predator-fear. Once their water cleared up, they didn't have a security blanket any longer.

I've seen this before when I was fishing, the owner dumped a load of algae killer in the lake and it turned the water crystal clear but you could see hundreds of fish all shoaled up together. Suppose the clearer water may have spooked them a little?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fishes have short memory , when we watch them everyday they get fond of us , if u add a new fish she will b shy or scared , after few days she will recognize u as "not threat" but if u stop for few days there memory is reset . i noticed this behaviour many times if i dont see them for few days ,specialy in winter when i would stop feeding and they would stay low they would behave scared running around
Theyre coming up to take little nibbles now. :cool:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, research is now saying they have a several month memory. Mine remember me even when I've been gone a while. I think it's more likely their memory (not lack of) has put them in a defensive mode now that their green-water security blanket is gone. They instinctively know that they are now at greater risk from predators, and they might have been visited by predators during the OP's absence. Now that Mommy is home (Mommy, right?), they are getting their courage back.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, research is now saying they have a several month memory. Mine remember me even when I've been gone a while. I think it's more likely their memory (not lack of) has put them in a defensive mode now that their green-water security blanket is gone. They instinctively know that they are now at greater risk from predators, and they might have been visited by predators during the OP's absence. Now that Mommy is home (Mommy, right?), they are getting their courage back.
OP?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And I agree - I think your fish just need to get used to you hanging around again. Ours forget about us every spring and it takes them a bit to warm up to us again. We have one who's the leader of the pack - once she decides we're OK, then everyone is OK with us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've seen this before when I was fishing, the owner dumped a load of algae killer in the lake and it turned the water crystal clear but you could see hundreds of fish all shoaled up together. Suppose the clearer water may have spooked them a little?
This was my thought as well. It's surely the case with my fish.

Ask a Question