So, what do/did you do?

Reaction score
Just for the sake of conversation, what type of work do or did you used to do? I like to hear about people's past, it gives us a better feel for each other. Plus, we know who to ask what like " Hey Raymond, my lizard just got his tail broke off, is it safe to eat it?"

"Can cats be gay? I think my cat is gay." (Dangerously close to being kicked off of this forum, huh?)

No kidding, we may have a dentist or a child psychologist here. We have a well of information here with everyone's personal experience and can benefit from each others knowledge if we try. For example, I'm a firefighter/paramedic. Fires burn up toward the ceiling and soon breech the attic. Once the fire gets into the attic, it runs down the ridge spreading the flames all through the house. I am a small man so I was deemed the "Attic rat". That mean't that it was my unenviable job to go into the attic dragging a hose to put the fire out before it consumes the house.

Here's a tip, I know that it is really easy when you need to store things in the attic just to pile them all up near the opening, they are easy to reach, right? But, if the fire is in your attic and I have to go up there to put it out, I find Christmas trees, ornaments, Halloween decorations, winter clothes, an old ferret cage, lawn chairs, folding cots and everything else that you don't normally use every day.

While trying to wade through this stuff with zero visibility, the fire is running down your ridge and engulfing the entire house. Please do not pile everything right by the access to the attic. Sure, it only happens once in a lifetime, but when it does, seconds matter. It may save your house.

So, let's pick each other's brains, what do/did you do? Do my dog's teeth need cleaning? Do these pants make my butt look fat? Should men dye their hair? Am I getting screwed on my mortgage? My heart races at times, should I be concerned?

I am a firefighter/paramedic and I'm willing to field any questions about that subject. What do you do?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Worked in a card shop at the mall for about 10 yrs and also worked in a manufacturing plant for plastics on injection mold machines, Sears in tube mail back in the late 60's and last but not least a domestic engineer :) My DH is a sheet metal worker but has been laid off due to the economy :mad: And we have nothing in our attic so you are safe here Bullfrog :wink:

Reaction score
I am retired military (Army) and I now work at the High school district here in the Transportation department as a School Bus Driver for the past 5 years....

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Currently between jobs, last company I worked as a 'armed security officer' at a GOV facility in Seattle for (HWA, Inc.) that lost the GOV contract for some serious payroll and safety issues. Employees are still trying to retreive the last months pay.

Lets not talk about my attic........, been in this house since June of 1981, and still have things up there that haven't been unpacked. Scary ha?

Happy ponding,

Rich:banghead3:

Reaction score
Human Resources Director for a large wireless company. But feed my frustrated writer side with working to create copy for client websites and blogs as a consultant.

Reaction score
Well I work with wood but what I saw on that website is way above my abilities, great work.

I know JW and she does work.... sometime.

My hat is off to and I salute all veterans.

A writer! I like to write too, but I write (try anyway) to write historical fiction. O have been driving JW and Freddie Peepers crazy reading my story one piece at a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Retired from AT&T. Tested Cell tower equipment.
Now I hava little pond supply company.

Reaction score
Was a carpenter for a few years. First for a general contractor then for a custom cabinet shop. Now I work for a wood products consulting company. We work mostly with sawmills, plywood plants, etc. So, if you need wood products manufacturing advice, I'm your man!

:highfive:

Reaction score
Active duty navy, tattoo artist and my fiance just finished his 5 years in the Marines, going to school and learning all about the ponding
:helm2:

Reaction score
work at a Local fish store as a fill in person when people want days off. im the first one they call. good money. basically can work off all my pond stuff in 1 day

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I've been a operating engineer (heavy equipment operator) and member of operating engineers local #150 for 23yrs I been working road construction for the last 10 years. never a dull moment.

Ask a Question