Something wrong with my pumps?!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After the last 5 years of going back and forth with building my big pond, I can't believe I'm having so much trouble starting up a little stock tank pond.

So, as a lot of you already know from my other posts, a friend from work who no longer has a pond gave me his filter, pump, uv light and tubing. Well I filled the tank and set up the pump and filter. Don't have the right connectors for the UV, but that's fine, I'll get to that if I even need it. So a day and half after my initial set up, the filter shifted on what I had it elevated on and drained the tank. the pump was still running when I got home from work to find this, still in water, but not enough water for it to actually push anymore through. So I unplugged it and found a more stable way to elevate the filter. Got it all up and running again on last Wednesday evening. It was running fine Friday morning, when I got home from work it was not running. Tank was still full, checked the outlet it seemed fine, I ran the pump cord into the house to test it on a different outlet and nothing. So I thought since this was a used pump and I had no idea how old it was or how it was cared for, maybe it just died. Went to Menards Saturday and bought a new pump. Hooked that one up Saturday when I got back, all was running fine. Went to my ex's Sunday and got my fish, added them to the pond. Everything running and working great last night when I went to bed. Went out there this morning before work and the new pump was not running either. Again the GCFI did not need to be reset. I pulled the pump and the box and am going to return it to Menards, just in case for some dumb luck I managed to get a defective one. But I feel like this seems way to coincidental. I pugged in an airstone, and I'm praying that will be okay, for the fish. I have to work both of my jobs today so I will go to Menards on my lunch break but then I won't be able to get home until probably 10:00 tonight.

I don't know any specs on the used pump, but it looked like a much better model than the one I bought from Menards. The one from Menards is a Tetra 700, it was 60W, 120V. There's nothing in the tank as far as something large that could have somehow been sucked in to damage these pumps. No rocks, debris, or sludge.

Does anyone have any idea what might be burning my pumps up?? :(:(:(

I just moved into this place a month ago. It's an older duplex, I'm guessing built in the 50's. I'm renting so I can't really make any permanent improvements. Getting my fish moved asap was a huge priority. My ex has been intentionally killing them slowly (because I left him), my 3 biggest koi have died, I think he's been slowly poisoning the pond.

Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I had a pump that suddenly stopped working I found it had an adjustment on it for water flow. Some how when I was cleaning it I must have closed the lever and when I put it back in the stock tank it didn't work. I was all ready to replace it and then I realized the lever being closed was the issue.

Have you tried to plug something else into the outlet you are using for the pump? (just to make sure it is working)

Very odd that both the pumps don't work.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
May be the socket where your pluging them is faulty or geting short circuit or geting damp? Just guessing , try to use different.
1st one i can say broke bcz of its winding over heated as it was working withoutwater and was weaken after few uses it broke , no idea y 2 nd one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So it turned out to be coincidental..... pump #3 has been going strong.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have my laguna one 2900 gph and it uses only 50 watts and the 2400 gph uses 40 watts .It was worth the extra money for the savings on my utility bill .Glad you got a good one this time .Nothing is ever 100% non defective and it happens .Like my house ordered flooring for the whole house and found out after a year of complaining that I got boxes from the factory that were defective .Lucky hubby took pics of the boxes and saved the end labels with the red dots on them .80 out of 100 boxes defective

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
"I just moved into this place a month ago. It's an older duplex, I'm guessing built in the 50's. I'm renting so I can't really make any permanent improvements. Getting my fish moved asap was a huge priority. My ex has been intentionally killing them slowly (because I left him), my 3 biggest koi have died, I think he's been slowly poisoning the pond.

Thanks everyone"

Tetra is the lowest of the low-end stuff. Sorry to say.

Good thing you didn't breed rabbits, the ex sounds like a bunny-boiler for sure (movie).

Last edited:

Ask a Question