Spray-Lining my pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am working on my pond, adding finishing touches, thinking about using polyurea to coat the inside for added strength and texture/color. Has anyone ever heard anything about or used "spray-Lining and coatings"? Any reviews or complaints? Just looking to not have to have my fingers crossed before and while placing an order!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have heard of brush on liner stuff for concrete ponds so I am assuming your pond is concrete

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've looked into it just for curiosity purposes in the past. Looks interesting for sure and would definetly give a more natural durable look then epdm.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Polyurea coating for a pond is extremely durable. It can be applied over any surface including soil. It is completely safe for all aquatic life. It should be applied only by a professional with the proper equipment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey pond owners, I agreed but and used an SLC polyurea dealer at first. They were good but expensive so as my pond grew to 3 ponds I used SLC DIY koi pond coating kits.
1 of 3 ponds-koiman.jpg

Now I found this posted at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_nAzV8m10Y - This man seems intelligent and experienced:

My wife and I have a cascade which leads into a pond with koi fish.

The cascade is over 11 feet high so the current is very strong as water strikes the few large rocks. The sound was very loud and friction from several large crystal-like rocks broke through the plastic lining in the koi pond.

Complaints about this plastic lining were not remedied by the installer. Doing a lot of research, ie: plastic vs rubber vs EPDM vs spray-lined polyurea, undoubtedly the polyurea spray-lining coatings reviewed better than other alternatives. Professionals who spray pond lining are hard to find plus very expensive. But soft, flexible, spray-on lining of polyurea was coating required to seal the koi pond area (870 sq ft) and (try to) cancel some noise.

Aside for professional polyurea installers at over $19 per square foot, I located the only DIY spray-on lining of actual polyurea coating for ponds at Spray-Lining and Coatings
[URL]http://www.spray-lining.com/pond/

Some options included Rhino Industrial dealers. These were mostly body shops that sprayed Rhino-Lining, with mainly truck bed liner experience. Other spray-on bedliner guys couldn’t quote a koi pond job. So this DIY spray-lining koi pond solution chosen.

It’s called Seal Coat by SLC.

This worked very well; koi pond is sealed, it seems permanent now. After preparation – mainly cleaning the pond and washing those big rocks, SLC directions were logical.

Rocks were coated with SLC-114-AS, a soft, clear spray-lining; fully coated each (of 22 rocks). The bottom of the pond is now lined black and the sides are light grey. Sides and bottom now have a flexible texture and are between one eighth and quarter-inch thick.

SLC recommended 1/8 inch thick online but a guy named Kevin Root at an SLC distributer, Vancouver Lining and Coating said thicker will quell the vibration which made that noise. Our sons (teens) helped with cleaning, I mixed and the wife sprayed most parts. Therefore our insulation issue aside, if you’re careful with SLC’s tech support (reading & listening), sealing a complex pond should succeed using an their DIY koi pond coating kit.

By Dr. David Pitkethly, Seattle Wa. http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-david-pitkethly-222vx
[/URL]

Reaction score
Country
United States
sl-hp-gun.jpg
Polyurea Spray equipment was loaned to me via Spray-Lining Coatings support people. It was under $2,400 for the SLC polyurea but freight for equipment was about $170. I wore coveralls plus an air mask ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-6300-HALF-MASK-RESPIRATOR-SIZE-LARGE-MASK-ONLY-/282062415298 ) & gloves, no big deal. Instructions to spray are 2-3 pages but SLC has live support guys. I am not in this business of spraying waterscapes but my landscaper, my pond supply store owners & several neighbors with ponds, etc have leaks and asked me to spray theirs. Uninterested as I am in being a spray-on lining & coatings applicator it appears quite an untapped niche.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
View attachment 91864 Polyurea Spray equipment was loaned to me via Spray-Lining Coatings support people. It was under $2,400 for the SLC polyurea but freight for equipment was about $170. I wore coveralls plus an air mask ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-6300-HALF-MASK-RESPIRATOR-SIZE-LARGE-MASK-ONLY-/282062415298 ) & gloves, no big deal. Instructions to spray are 2-3 pages but SLC has live support guys. I am not in this business of spraying waterscapes but my landscaper, my pond supply store owners & several neighbors with ponds, etc have leaks and asked me to spray theirs. Uninterested as I am in being a spray-on lining & coatings applicator it appears quite an untapped niche.

Do you know what the minimum purchase is before they "lend" the equipment?

Reaction score
Country
United States
great question, not sure. With the order costing $2400 that (an SLC-HD-6 pump with) Probler-2 spray gun was shipped by "Spray-Lining & Coatings support team". But before this my daughter and I used other spray rigs that were more simple, also lent. I took great care of em, cleaned em well, returned all quickly. They say that some % of your purchasing covers SLC's equipment via their own monthly lease expense. They also knew we bought over $2,000 of polyurea previously. They're not a giant polyurea vendor and knew I was referred by a group whom also purchases from them. So I think they may risk more with more potential for sales of coatings for ponds. That rig in photo was rebuilt, not new so I doubt their risk is high.

Ask a Question