Sprouted seed, Euryale ferox available

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good to go to locations with hot climates, 70's waters will see them take off at a steady pace

The waterlily from the time of dinosaurs - Three sprouted seeds of the Gorgon plant (Euryale ferox) Given a large pot to grow in and fertile waters expect the Gorgon to grow 8'-15' wide with lilypads four or five feet wide in a month in 70°-95°f waters. Tame the beast by using a smaller bucket sized pot for less than half the full size...

The Gorgon plant does not fare well when transplanted, it seems to dislike any disturbance of its roots, it is best grown from seed which thrives easy in hot sunny waters 70°f-100°f. Pot on with minimal root disturbance

Planting instructions could not be much easier, set pot of dirt with 4-5" of water over the top, drop the raisin sized seed in the middle of the pot when water temperatures rise through the 60's and watch it grow... In hot sunny waters full size lilypads will be showing in a months time.

Plant the seed outdoors to zone 7 where it will overwinter below ice, to grow the following Summer when waters warm again. The seed seems to need a prolonged cool spell to germinate, as it reliably pops the following Spring, outdoors

The seed is very tolerant of volatile water temperatures 40°f-100°f. Besides the colossal size the main feature is the decorative and unusual spikes growing on the rippled pads making for a very eye catching foliage effect

When sufficient lilypads are formed strong unusual deep violet and vivid crimson blooms form and set seed which are easy to find when they float from the seed pod among the striking prehistoric lilypads which cope well with the hottest sunniest position.

email preferred: (e-mail address removed)

euryale_ferox_trio.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow beautiful. too bad it's way too big and probably require sun which i dont have :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The Gorgon plant grows very well in the Carolina's, far more robust than the Victoria waterlily which is pot luck to drop dead if 50's cool stuff swings in
Here's a bonsai'd plant, lilypads less than 6" in size which developed where it got morning sun only
euryale_ferox_liftedgpf.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, simply planting in a 5" pot will restrict the size it grows to. As will a cooler shady position. The photo above shows a small Gorgon that grew with no pot, bare root. To get the Gorgon to grow big takes a big fertile pot of dirt, like bigger than a 5 gallon dirt pot, otherwise it is adaptive and grows smaller

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Then I want one, cant have it now though, can I? Is it ok to put it outside now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Euryale seed does Winter outdoors in our climate, plonked in a pot of soft mud, Euryale seed would be vulnerable to a horde of hungry grazing fish early in the season, likely to nibble the shoots off when they are thinking about starting up. Similar problem is likely to happen to any waterlily with a yummy small delicate sprout.

I'd be inclined to put them in a bowl of water in a cool frost free window, grow them on to crowd their little bowl then pot up and plant out after mid April when the chance of a hard freeze is fading

Regards, andy
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/users/adavisus.3206/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
just an update that I only got 2 to sprout and 1 to survive. Which is more than enough for my pond ;) I got 2 1" pads now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well, done, nail biting time!

Two one inch pads is consistent with Euryales that wintered outdoors here, which put sprouts to the surface a week or two ago

Any sprouting plant is a bit vulnerable to anything that likes pecking delicate yummy salad muchies, an exclusion zone is useful where that is a factor, here Hornwort is placed around seedlings to keep pesky small turtles at a safe peckers length away

Regards, andy

euryale_14_9gpf.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep, that's exactly what it looks like. It's been bombed with fallen mulberries for the past week but it's still hold. There's no pecking creature in my pond so no worries about that! ;)

I have it in about 10 inches basket filled with sand and clay. Will that make it too big?

FYI, The Yellow floating heart is sending leaves out like crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your floating heart should be peaking flurries anytime now Nepen.

Your 10" basket will have the fabled Gorgon plant begging, 'feed me' with paltry 1' or so tintsy lilypads

Euryale ferox well rooted, sprouted and with 6" lilypads currently good to go for trades of interest!

email preferred: (e-mail address removed)

Regards, andy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The pads now looking similar to the picture :) But tiny still, well, about 5 inches. growing slowly but strong :)

Ask a Question