Squirrel caught in bird feeder pole

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hubby walked out this morning and found this little guy caught in the feeder pole. It rained last night, so we figure the squirrel lost its grip on a slippery pole. After donning thick, leather gloves [and the squirrel did bite!], he was able to free it, but only after removing one of the arches [this particular feeder pole disassembles, so it was an easy fix]. The squirrel hobbled off, but we weren't able to tell anything about the condition of its leg. Naturally, it's going to be sore. We were afraid to chase after it for fear that it would further injure itself, but we'll keep an eye out just in case we need to intervene [there are several wildlife rehabilitors in our area]. I felt so sorry for it -- it had to be terrified!

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Poor thing! The possible silver lining (assuming he's just sore and there's no permanent damage) is that maybe he has learned a lesson about trying to get to the bird feeders! Doubtful, I know.... Good Husband for freeing him!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Poor thing I hope hes ok a bad leg in the wild could be fatal

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was outside looking for it a little while ago and didn't see it anywhere. Where it was, it would have had to climb either a tree or a wooden fence to go anywhere, so I'm taking it as a good sign that I couldn't find it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have yu a motion activated video camera Maggie as you could check if the little chap is doing well once he plucks up the guts to come raid your feeders again.;)
I'm just hoping that shock hasnt got to him :(

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Poor thing, they are pretty tough.
I feed ours got a peanut feeder on our deck (home made of course lol) They tend to stay away from the bird feeders.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 No camera, but not sure we'd be able to tell one squirrel from another -- we have so many that visit the yard.

@MitchM @addy1 I love and respect all of nature [EXCEPT FIRE ANTS!!!!!] and I can't stand to see anything suffer. Just soft-hearted! We enjoy the squirrels, as well, and used to put special feeders [peanut & corn-cob holders] out -- don't know why we stopped doing that....... Addy, what does your peanut feeder look like?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made a little bird house looking box with a roof. The front has a hole large enough for a quart mason jar to fit in (the mouth) on the porch of the feeder is a V cut piece of wood to hole the quart jar.

Let me see if can find an example for your or picture.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
similar to this, but I have a piece of wood with a V cut into it to hold the jar out on the porch area

250x188xfree-squirrel-feeder-plans.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QpQxWenQTL.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
similar to this, but I have a piece of wood with a V cut into it to hold the jar out on the porch area

250x188xfree-squirrel-feeder-plans.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QpQxWenQTL.jpg
I vaguely recall having something like this once, but don't think it's still around the house, so guess I get to go SHOPPING!! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The squirrels love it, we buy bags of peanuts in the shells for them (cheap at costco)

Ask a Question