Stupid mistake, Totally Devastated, Huge loss

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I got home this evening to every Koi keepers nightmare. All my water was gone and all my Prized Koi were laying on the bottom, most dead, a very few in really bad shape, three survivors so far but two of them got seriously sun burnt. For the third time I was in a hurry, doing all the feeding and filter cleaning before going to work and I left the vortex clean out valve open. Only this time the pump never shut down and never lost suction and it pumped all but maybe 25-30 gallons of water out of 10,500 gallons. I'm just in total shock. I lost every female I had, all but one of my high end fish, even lost our Shamu, the fish everyone comes to see. I really don't know right now what I am going to do. No possible way I can ever replace this collection. and I'm not talking replace ones like them, I'm talking financially I can't replace what I had invested in my collection. Trying to decide right now if I even want to crank the pond back up.
DSC06235.JPG
DSC06235.JPG
DSC06236.JPG
DSC06240.JPG
DSC06242.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06252.JPG
    DSC06252.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC06251.JPG
    DSC06251.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
OH MY, im so sorry to hear about this, its truly devastating when things like this happen, those were some beautiful fish too. It truly breaks my heart to see someone put so much effort into something and then lose it. I wish you best of luck in your future pond endeavors. I suggest taking a week break from any ponding and then try and slowly restart it.

Reaction score
That sucks the big one.

Give it some time. No way to think straight about this for awhile.

Down the line you'd hopefully be able to share some very good insights for others on how a pond should be plumbed to prevent this type of thing. When I moved from my San Jose house the new owners hired a pond professional who "fixed" my pond by moving the pump from the skimmer to the bottom of the pond. Same result, empty pond and dead fish. Sure glad I wasn't there to see it. I try to spread the word as best I can, but unfortunately tragedies like this seem to be needed to help others. Actually that seems to be true for lots of things.

Sure sorry this happened.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my, so darn sorry. If I had koi I would send you some beautiful ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a loss, sorry you lost so many of your Koi. With a 10,500 gal pond I would think there could be a way so this never can happen again, a fail safe of some sort? Best of luck moving forward

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have been telling my self to get a low water cut off switch for a long time
Sorry Larkin

Reaction score
I am so sorry Larkin for your loss after you just had a good time at the show.
Some weeks back i read your post about your ponds; you have a beautiful setup.
Dont let it go; you obviously have talent and know how to pick the right fish.
You also have given me plenty of direct and indirect guidance and advice - its much appreciated.
My fish werent anywhere near the value or as good looking specimens as yours - i know how it feels to have made a mistake and lost the vast majority of them. sitting at my pond a few days ago - just a few months after that loss i found myself thinking we had gotten back our pond as our new fish were happy to be in our pond.
Dont give up...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
On my.....I'm at a loss for words. I can only imagine how upset you must be.....a terrible loss, made worse by the shock of it. I agree with Waterbug, no way to wrap your head around this right now....take some time and regroup.

I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful fish.

Ask a Question