Submersible pump and separate filter box confusion

Reaction score
I have a 9'x9' liner pond with a 10"- 12" deep shelf, with the pump/fountain in the deeper center (about 20 " deep), connected to a submersed box filter. I (mostly) understand about moving the pump to shallower area during winter so as not to disturb the warmer water on the bottom for the goldfish and rosy minnows. I am wondering about the box filter...what is its purpose during the winter what maintenance does it require? Thanks a lot

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
most beneficial bacteria are rendered dead or inactive below 45* so the filter is limited to mechanical filtration for most people...i dont know what temps your water drops to, so wether or not you get any bio filtering i dont know. but usually an air stone suspended 1/2 the depth of your pond in the deep end will support gas exchange for the winter months if your pond tends to freeze over..and wont mix the water levels together. but do yourself a favor and build an external biofilter...you fish will be eternally gratefull. you will find plans for several on this site.

Reaction score
in the very early days I started with one of those in-pond box filters...they are just ghastly to maintain and a PITA when you have to haul 'em out of the water for maintenance.

Koiguy is right on the money with an external bio filter...you'd be much, muhc better off.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We don't have to worry about it here, but in very cold climates, wouldn't a 55 gallon barrel freeze solid?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
wether you use a stocktank or drum, you drain them, cover them or remove them and forget about them here.. ..'til spring!!

Reaction score
carol is in mississipi...no chance of her barrels freezing or filter freezing.

But carol, you would simply pull your filter outta the water and give it a rest for winter that's all.

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I am definitely turning mine off and draining it - both for the cold and the fact that it will freeze and rupture all my hard work of plumbing (and negate all the stoicism I showed ignoring my wife's jokes at my expense during said plumbing).

External Bio Filter is for sure the way to go. I have a box thingy on my filter intake pump too though, and even though it is a PITA to clean and all that it does cut down on the crap getting sucked into my pump so it is OK for that. I would not use it for primary filtration though - more as a pump protector.

It is all going bye-bye though since I am going to retro bottom drains in the spring and adding another 20 gallon trash can for a settling tank to feed the existing bio filter trash can which will get a little beefing up as well.

Ask a Question