Sudden Drop in Temp?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, last night I came home to my pond having about 2'' of water left in it! I freaked out thinking that there was a hole poked in my liner and maybe the storm knocked a big limb down and punctured it!? I found out that it was the Fountain head to the top of my Beckett pump (The Attachment that like a 360 degree wall of water) was clogged somehow on one side and was spewing water over the ponds edge for who knows how long?! It was about 42-45 degrees last night here in Florida and without thinking before, I pumped the water hose into the pond and filled it again. As i was pulling leaves and other small debris out of the pond while filling it, i realized my hand wasn't numb anymore and that the water temp was raised significantly compared to the water that was previously in the pond! I checked this morning and couldn't see any fish (because they hide allot during the day) but none belly up on the surface. I have only had my 8 goldfish for 4 months and I don't want to lose them as they are only 3-3.5'' long, Should I worry about them dying or getting ill from that much Temp change in a short amount of time? Thanks, sorry this was long :redface:

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
a sudden temp change can be stressful for fish.
So keep a eye on them not sure there was anything else you could have done at the moment but fill it slower and let the temp of the water change a little at a time.
Don't know your water quality at your place
but did you use declor if you did not clorine will kill your BB in your filter and around the pond so keep a eye out for Ammo and Nitrite spikes as your pond might go threw a small cycle.

As a point for the future and help that this won't happen again or unlikly
lift your pump higher in the pond on a self or rock say a foot or 2 depending how deep it is, that way if this happens again it wont suck out this much water.
You will lose a pump but you won't lose your fish.

Sounds like a little longer and that pond would have been dry and that is a sight you don't want to see.

Advise keep a eye on them
if you are still feeding feed less even don't feed for a few days less poop less ammo and less stress.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, Thanks! I did condition the water after i filled it and my pumps are about 4'' off the pond floor, except the 200GPH one that is hook to a screen filter and then runs to a spitter was at the Shallow part of the pond and stopped working but still hear it spinning when the water was low, since it is a Mag Drive pump then it was a easy fix as the impeller just fell off the shaft and works fine now. My pond is VERY small at only 11'' at it's deepest and 8'' at it's shallowest but allot of surface area to swim around in. I know many of you who are reading this are probably wondering why in the hell would i build a fish pond that's not at least 2' deep!? lol, I built it as a garden pond for looks as a buddy of mine has around the same size and depth pond for over 3 years with goldfish in them and they survive the mild winters and HOT summers here, so I said why not, so far so good! :goldfish: I will check on the fish as soon as i get off and let you know!

Reaction score
Yikes! That was a close call. Our pickup sits about half way in the deep end, so about 30" from the bottom for this very reason (with good circulation to not have a major dead spot). That said, yesterday our big pond was down over a foot... minor backup in the upper pond at the water fall (dam effect), so the upper pond was filling fasting than gravity was feeding it back to the big pond...

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes that is a small pond even for small fish.
The bigger problem with small ponds is small changes take more effect to where in a bigger pond it is not as bad.

I know Florida weather and to me you don't have a winter so things grow year round.

With what happen and the size of the pond and being as warm as it is I think you are going to get a cycle so keep testing for ammo and Nitrites and don't let them get to high.
Specificly if your filter stopped getting water for a hour or so and you got a BB death.
Even if it did not I would still test for the above over the next week or so.
Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes that is a small pond even for small fish.
The bigger problem with small ponds is small changes take more effect to where in a bigger pond it is not as bad.

I know Florida weather and to me you don't have a winter so things grow year round.

With what happen and the size of the pond and being as warm as it is I think you are going to get a cycle so keep testing for ammo and Nitrites and don't let them get to high.
Specificly if your filter stopped getting water for a hour or so and you got a BB death.
Even if it did not I would still test for the above over the next week or so.
Ruben
Thanks yall, All the Fish are good and well as of now, they were begging me for food when i got home last night lol. Yes i probably have the shallowest pond on the forums! I might re-dig it in the spring another 6'' without sacrificing much surface area! What yall don't know is I have a smaller preformed Pond in the other corner of the yard that is n 80 gallon I think and it is 20'' deep and is where the fish will go in the spring when I re-dig the bigger pond. I will check the water Tomorrow and see what my levels are, Thanks again guys! :razz:

Ask a Question