Suggestions on how to stop my small pond from freezing completely

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With cold temperatures coming in the way in my area of zone 7a northern NJ, I want to start preparing things that will keep my pond healthy over the winter. My pond freezes every winter so this year I want to have some portions of it unfrozen.

So my pond is very small and is a tub, not a liner. It is 4 feet wide horizontally and like 1 1/2 feet vertically and 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep. I currently use a 90gph pump which will definitely not stop my pond from freezing so I am going to take the pump out for the winter. I know there are many things you can put in the pond and each with different effects such as the pond de-icer, pond heater, aerator etc... which one would suit best for my small pond? I prefer not something that will cost me high electricity bills. Are there any ways I can keep a small portion of my pond unfrozen so my fish won't die?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No they were great but this thread asks a slightly different question. Now I am asking for which specific tool would be best for keeping ponds unfrozen or partially unfrozen

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How about a stock tank heater .I saw some t southern states here that were for 100 gallon stock tanks .One was a 25 watt and one was a fifty watt .Or you could use a regular light bulb like they use in well houses .100 watt light bulb under a hoop house would provide a lot of heat .But will have to be secured good so it will not fall in the pond If you are handy it may work .Even a butch of old windows screwed together to build a house over the pond can make it like a green house

Ask a Question