Switching gears -- now need advice on making a bulkhead and creating adequate drainage for a bog

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since my original concept has changed, I thought I would start a new thread specific to this idea.
I started out here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...oin-the-pond-call-me-stream-challenged.15718/. Start at post #8.

Instead of a stream, I've decided to go a different route and use PVC tubing as a water conduit from my turtle bog return to the pond. What I'm having trouble with is fabricating a bulkhead (to go where the weir is) for the tubing pass-through.

These pics are posted in the other thread.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Any input will be appreciated as this is an unfamiliar territory for me!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl OK, at a guess.... I'm thinking of going up a couple more inches on the sides and the bottom of the weir, to have a greater "slope" for water flow (maybe, maybe not.....)

image.jpg

This is what it will look like, to give an idea -- the central area will be shallow gravel, with about 3" of water (currently working on a "frame" to contain the gravel). The outer edges will have gravel to the top. The turtles will be able to climb in & out of the "pool" area.
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Since you aren't going for a stream I don't know that the slope matters and might even be a little harder to secure at the top of the bog but of course it is whatever you like the look of. With the size not being extreme you could really use anything to block the opening. If you have the ability or know someone with a large drill, I would use either the siding that you're talking about or even just a piece of fencing lumber painted or stained. I have a few pieces used as a garden border and it's held up really well. Depending on what your attaching it to, just a few countersunk screws would work since the liner is outside and their really isn't a lot of pressure from the water/gravel due to the size of the bog.
I think a shower drain would be the best. The gutter drain will be difficult to tie into a pipe on the outside and if you go with the same diameter PVC it will be easy to build it all the way out. You can also do a Y connection and put 2 intake valves with a shower drain in your bog that feed into 1 exit pipe that goes out of your bog, that way if 1 becomes clogged you have options. Kind of like the bog plumbing in reverse. I wish I had a program for drawing so I could sketch it out for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don't have how to make it advice. Just want you to make sure that the hose is big enough for the water to pass through fast enough. I think Larkin suggested like twice as big from the tube that comes to the bog. I second this as my container bogs used output tube (same size as the input tube) to direct water out and I really struggle with the water overflow the bog because my outflow is not big enough. I had to drill holes on the side of my container bog to let the access water drain back to the pond instead of overflow out on all side from the top.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't have how to make it advice. Just want you to make sure that the hose is big enough for the water to pass through fast enough. I think Larkin suggested like twice as big from the tube that comes to the bog. I second this as my container bogs used output tube (same size as the input tube) to direct water out and I really struggle with the water overflow the bog because my outflow is not big enough. I had to drill holes on the side of my container bog to let the access water drain back to the pond instead of overflow out on all side from the top.
Thanks! Yes, I was already planning to do that. The intake is 1-1/2" and I was going to use either 3" or 4" for the out-flow part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! Yes, I was already planning to do that. The intake is 1-1/2" and I was going to use either 3" or 4" for the out-flow part.
What pipework are you using PVC rigid Pipe, or armoured flexi pipe Maggie, as both have their plus and minus points ?.
Personally I'd use the 4" pipe for ease of flow (which would probably be slower than that of the 3") and armoured flexi pipe which is very strong but durable an would be easier to manipulate than the rigid.
We have a two inch version that was originally used to connect to the to drain the bottom drain of our QT fasility it is extremly strong and would take the weight of someone stepping on it by mistake whereas the 4" rigid would must probably crack.
I also believe the flexible type would have a longer life span than that of the rigid , however it would probably be a bit more expensive but if your going to do a good job its best to do it right first time

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 At this point, the tubing/pipe for the bog return is still in the planning stages. I'm still researching my options regarding.....well, the entire project. The only "given" is that the tubing from the pump and the water distribution system [PVC underneath the bog gravel] is 1-1/2" size. Whether I go with 3" or 4" will depend mostly on what pieces I can find that work together and what sizes they come in. I know that hard PVC can be damaged by exposure, but I'm going to use my creativity to disguise this return tubing, so it's probably going to either be partially buried [IOW, covered with a mound of dirt], or will have a housing of some sort over it.

As for the pond tubing, my plan is to convert everything to flex-PVC, but right now it's a combo of PVC and that black corrugated tubing. When I go to the flex-PVC [and in some places, I'll still use hard PVC], I'll be able to use regular PVC fittings for everything, which will standardize all of the connections.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It sounds like you have a plan going TM. Yay!
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!! You know, learning can be fun.....once you get passed the point of total confusion.......:confused: And some things [parts of my idea] are starting to fall into place.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I drive people crazy since I have to talk it to death until I get a clear picture in my head of what will work and what won't. I always like hearing other ideas and inventions since sometimes I can adopt parts and pieces into something else I'm working on.

Ask a Question