Temporary Fish Tank????

Reaction score
I am making my pond bigger and need to store my fish somewhere whilst I do it, it should not take longer than a weekend, tops.

I have been trying to come up with an idea of where to store my fish, I have 8, one is a very large Koi, the reason I am making it bigger is that the Koi grew more than I expected, I knew very little when I got it 3 summers ago.

I have tried the local pet shops, to rent a tank but they have none available, is there a plastic sheeting or anything that anyone can recommend. I don't want to spend a lot of money, I'm Scottish........

I will build a frame, any ideas?

Thanks Kenny

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Purchase a large trash can or use a liner in an old one. Harbor Freight has small pumps that can circulate the water and an airstone will ensure oxygen.

Keep the lid on with holes in the top and out of direct sunlight. Indoors location like a garage might be best. I think you could keep a large Koi by itself just fine this way and when its over you have a usefull container that didn't cost much.

Home Depot has 30 gallon storage containers that are long and have a lid. I used one for several hundred fry temporarily but you have to support the sides.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Another excellant idea! Just make sure you protect them from predators day and night.

Two nights ago my alarms went off and when I hit them with a light there was two large raccoons teaming up on my pond. Thank God I had covered it.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think the Home Depot idea sounds good for me, I don't have a lot room.

Thanks very much, will let u know how I get on

Kenny T

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i know this thread has been closed for a good while but as far as kiddie pools go... WET SET , INTEX, and a few others make "SNAP SET" style pools theyre pvc construction . making them fish safe. and theyre about $10.00...theyre anywhere from about 250 gals to 300 gals full. on clearence at the end of summer you get them for about $7.00..... (i have 2 that i got at Meijers for $7.00 each) when your done with them roll them up and put them away so youve got them for the next time...they make nice fry pond nurseries as well. theyve proved themselves invaluable a few times.I'm sure Kmarts, Walmarts, Meijers have them on clearence now if theyve got any left.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even a kiddie swimming pool will work as long as you put a net over it so you don't get jumpers .My neighbor uses a big blow up pool for kids it works great and when not needed she just lets the air out dries it good put baby powder all over it and stores it away until she needs it .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you get one of the roll-up pools, make sure to store it where mice can't get at it. Mine looked like Swiss cheese when I got it out of the garden shed! John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best way to store them is with a bag of mothballs as mice and any rodent does not like the smell and will not go near them then

Ask a Question