Test kits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
My pond is currently about 90 gallons, but I may be doing some renovating and expanding it to a maximum of 400 gallons. I have 4 5" goldfish and the water is rainwater, from a coated concrete cistern, filtered and treated with a UV sterilizer (same as the house water) - so no chlorine. I would like to start testing the pond water to ensure it is healthy. Can someone recommend a test kit(s) and what I should be testing for? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
API do a pond test kit with Ammonia , Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph test kits in it , (many of us on the forum use this type of kit) , then all you need do use test on a weekly basis and correcting anything you find wrong with your readings by water changes filter and pond maintenance .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The API test kit is a good basic all-around reagent based test kit. I would advise investing in a Dissolved Oxygen test kit also.
I don't think that testing on a weekly basis is necessary. That often is a bit of 'overkill'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The API test kit is a good basic all-around reagent based test kit. I would advise investing in a Dissolved Oxygen test kit also.
I don't think that testing on a weekly basis is necessary. That often is a bit of 'overkill'.
Meyer I'm suprised at that statement my friend , may you give me your reason why as its something weve always done ?

Dave

Reaction score
I don't mean to speak for anyone else so let me give my opinion. In a new pond, one should test regularly, as the cycle is still being established. In a small, highly stocked pond, it should also be tested regularly, since parameters can change quickly. In a pond that is well established, properly cycled, and properly stocked, testing is not needed as often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My dear fellow I didnt ask you the question was for Meyer, perhaps after he's given me his reasons you can put in your ten pence worth but in answer to your question
We have quite an expensive amount of koi in my pond with no plants "we brits like our formal koi ponds", so water quality should be kept to the highest quality that means regular religious water testing is carried out.
A problem can then be identified early and be nipped in the bud before it becomes a large problem I even test my Ph twice once in the morning once in the evening .
We observe good husbadry of both pond and filters and try my utmost to give our koi a stress free existance in doing so ,
Stress prevention is an essential part of my health care program, no stress to the koi means that the treat of illness through stress related issues is greatly diminished .
On top of that we also live about 600 yards from a very busy dual carrigeway in part built by the US Army prior to the D day landings to help embark allied forces and about 1,000 yards from another dual carrigway built as a flyover which has a hugely busy roundabout underneath it , there are times when Plymouth due to a car accident gets gridlocked producing even more pollution.
In the last 20 years we have seen traffic levels go steadily upwards polution is my main worry since we moved outside just leaving the windows open in summer turns our net curtains a filthy colour so much so we have to wash them on a regular basis .
Thus it stands to reason that if the nets show signs of pollution then there is a possiblity the pond recieves either the same amount or more so please pray tell what is wrong with that ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
My dear fellow I didnt ask you the question was for Meyer, perhaps after he's given me his reasons you can put in your ten pence worth but in answer to your question
We have quite an expensive amount of koi in my pond with no plants "we brits like our formal koi ponds", so water quality should be kept to the highest quality that means regular religious water testing is carried out.
A problem can then be identified early and be nipped in the bud before it becomes a large problem I even test my Ph twice once in the morning once in the evening .
We observe good husbadry of both pond and filters and try my utmost to give our koi a stress free existance in doing so ,
Stress prevention is an essential part of my health care program, no stress to the koi means that the treat of illness through stress related issues is greatly diminished .
On top of that we also live about 600 yards from a very busy dual carrigeway in part built by the US Army prior to the D day landings to help embark allied forces and about 1,000 yards from another dual carrigway built as a flyover which has a hugely busy roundabout underneath it , there are times when Plymouth due to a car accident gets gridlocked producing even more pollution.
In the last 20 years we have seen traffic levels go steadily upwards polution is my main worry since we moved outside just leaving the windows open in summer turns our net curtains a filthy colour so much so we have to wash them on a regular basis .
Thus it stands to reason that if the nets show signs of pollution then there is a possiblity the pond recieves either the same amount or more so please pray tell what is wrong with that ?

Dave
Wow Dave is there a reason I can't post my opinion in a thread just because you didn't ask for it? I even clarified by saying I wasn't speaking for anyone else. I even got some "likes" hahaha

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer I'm suprised at that statement my friend , may you give me your reason why as its something weve always done ?

Dave

Perhaps I should have clarified that statement by indicating that it applied to eco-system ponds. Eco-system ponds are considerably more likely to establish a biochemical equilibrium than a dedicated Koi pond due to the presence of richer diversity of micro- and meio-organisms, both sessile and planktonic.
An assumption is made here that a pond has proper flow rate and adequate filtration, mechanical and Bio.
Most of my customers ponds are only tested once......at the age of 1 year. This is to establish a parameter base-line that can be referred to, if needed, in the future. Those customers that request scheduled testing receive same on a quarterly (seasonal) basis. My own current personal pond has only been tested twice in a 10 year span. The parameters just do not vary beyond the expected diel and seasonal ranges.
Dedicated Koi ponds,,due to the purpose of their design, which is focused on viewing, do not have this diversity or the ability to support it. Biochemical equilibrium in a dedicated Koi pond is considerably more fragile if it is indeed ever naturally achieved So frequent and possibly more extensive testing is mandated of these systems.
Forgive me for this discrepancy in my thinking, but I don't mentally associate dedicated Koi ponds as being ponds, but rather viewing pools. Comparing dedicated Koi ponds to eco-system ponds is 'Apples and Oranges'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow Dave is there a reason I can't post my opinion in a thread just because you didn't ask for it? I even clarified by saying I wasn't speaking for anyone else. I even got some "likes" hahaha
No reason whatsoever dear fellow but you said it yourself Meyer is the expert in these matters not us mear hobbyists, so I thought it better I had his answer first thats all .
However I gave you my reasons , there is also another reason for my answer the poster said they would like to start testing, as such I can see no better way of making it a thing that isnt forgotten by them testing their pond on a regular basis "All good sound advice, you have to agree" .
The number of ponds weve been out to to help where the owner has a test kit but doesnt use it then wonders why their fish fall ill well put it this way is more than a few in the last 27 years .
So by regular testing your saving the poster problems in the future by re-enforcing the lessons learned , it works too :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Dave say you test your ph twice a day, can I ask how often you feel you have to actually make any actions based on that testing?
Like others I don't test very often anymore, simply because the tests always come back with expected results, meaning, they don't change, or they vary according to expected parameters. I am curious how often you actually find that you must alter something in your pond because of something you found in your test results?
I usually test about 3 times a year now, winter and a couple times in the spring.

On the subject of water testing, I have maintained swimming pools before, and there is a need to test them regularly (almost daily) because it is very important to maintain ph and chlorine levels to obtain ultimate water clarity, but I can't imagine a pond ever needing that kind of dedicated maintenance schedule.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps I should have clarified that statement by indicating that it applied to eco-system ponds. Eco-system ponds are considerably more likely to establish a biochemical equilibrium than a dedicated Koi pond due to the presence of richer diversity of micro- and meio-organisms, both sessile and planktonic.
An assumption is made here that a pond has proper flow rate and adequate filtration, mechanical and Bio.
Most of my customers ponds are only tested once......at the age of 1 year. This is to establish a parameter base-line that can be referred to, if needed, in the future. Those customers that request scheduled testing receive same on a quarterly (seasonal) basis. My own current personal pond has only been tested twice in a 10 year span. The parameters just do not vary beyond the expected diel and seasonal ranges.
Dedicated Koi ponds,,due to the purpose of their design, which is focused on viewing, do not have this diversity or the ability to support it. Biochemical equilibrium in a dedicated Koi pond is considerably more fragile if it is indeed ever naturally achieved So frequent and possibly more extensive testing is mandated of these systems.
Forgive me for this discrepancy in my thinking, but I don't mentally associate dedicated Koi ponds as being ponds, but rather viewing pools. Comparing dedicated Koi ponds to eco-system ponds is 'Apples and Oranges'.

Thank you Meyer for your in depth answer , I have to agree that dedicated koi ponds are somewhat like viewing pools , this is where the mix up Lies that is why I asked you to clarify what you were saying
It is quite easy to tip the biochemical equilibrium if your not on the ball and are on top of things, as such this is the reason why we carry on with partial water changes on a regular basis throughout the winter months.
This w we achieve by using the trickle method of adding water through a dechlorination filter using the ambient temperature of the ponds water to warm the trickle as it runs in .
It may take alott longer doing it this way but correctly done you can get away without effecting the temperature by between .1 or .2 of a degree of temperature .
.Sometimes in the winter many of us think we are daft but the dedication pays dividens in the spring.
Because of this weve not lost one koi to the winter months since we moved outside and dont aim to start doing so either at the last water change we had 9c and finished with 9c even though the outside air temperature was around about 4c .
All we need do is empty the vortex twice to give us the correct amount of water to replace then hook everything up and go indoors popping out periodically to check on the pond water level until the pond is topped up.
Then all we need do is store the hose pipe away and do the same with the dechloination unit and we are finished, I'd say the total time outdoors during the whole proceedure is around about half an hour , then back indoors to a nice warm front room nd a hot milky coffee

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave say you test your ph twice a day, can I ask how often you feel you have to actually make any actions based on that testing?
Like others I don't test very often anymore, simply because the tests always come back with expected results, meaning, they don't change, or they vary according to expected parameters. I am curious how often you actually find that you must alter something in your pond because of something you found in your test results?
I usually test about 3 times a year now, winter and a couple times in the spring.

On the subject of water testing, I have maintained swimming pools before, and there is a need to test them regularly (almost daily) because it is very important to maintain ph and chlorine levels to obtain ultimate water clarity, but I can't imagine a pond ever needing that kind of dedicated maintenance schedule.

Randy to tell you the truth we dont get anything in the way of problems I test the Ph first thing in the morning on the day of testing then in the evening allowing difference in temperature that's all .
Did you think I meant twice a day everyday whoa no way, sorry for your confusion here but not even I am that dedicated , I mean it'd cost mean absolute fortune in API pond test kits otherwise wouldnt it here they work out at around £34.00 a pop though I get mine heavily discounted at our local shop .
I've been playing with the idea of digital water test kits for a while now but never seem to get around to buying any another thing I've been looking into is the seneye digital system that takes your water perameters then reports back to your PC however they tie you into a contract with them which I dont really want :-

http://www.seneye.com/store/seneye-pond.html

Dont know if they do it your side of the pond ?

Dave

Reaction score
Randy to tell you the truth we dont get anything in the way of problems I test the Ph first thing in the morning on the day of testing then in the evening allowing difference in temperature that's all .
Did you think I meant twice a day everyday whoa no way, sorry for your confusion here but not even I am that dedicated , I mean it'd cost mean absolute fortune in API pond test kits otherwise wouldnt it here they work out at around £34.00 a pop though I get mine heavily discounted at our local shop .
I've been playing with the idea of digital water test kits for a while now but never seem to get around to buying any another thing I've been looking into is the seneye digital system that takes your water perameters then reports back to your PC however they tie you into a contract with them which I dont really want :-

http://www.seneye.com/store/seneye-pond.html

Dont know if they do it your side of the pond ?

Dave
Actually yes, that is what I thought. In a swimming pool testing PH and chlorine levels once or twice a day is not unheard of, especially public outdoor pools where parameters can vary a lot quite quickly. In a swimming pool where you are adding chlorine manually you want to keep the ph exactly neutral so the chlorine is the most effective and you can use the least amount of chlorine necessary. Of course that is totally different from any pond or aquarium I've owned which have all seem to have had self stabilizing PH levels. However, I've never had a formal koi pond full of big koi like yours, so I have no idea if it is more like maintaining a public swimming pool where that many koi is like hundreds of kids peeing in the pool.

I haven't seen any other devices for pond use like what you are talking about but I'm sure they are out there. I know that they have such things on waste water treatment where they can access all there meters remotely, and even adjust things remotely via a internet connection.
I know I love being able to view my surveillance cameras at my home from any place I am in the world, providing I have internet access. In fact I'm in the Philippines right now, and I check out my home everyday, and I know exactly when my wife and son leave and come home everyday, and I can see an open area in my pond which tells me my winter pump is still running. I have even informed my wife who came knocking at the door while she was at work. lol

Reaction score
Gee I guess my testing every day in the warm months and once a week in the winter means I need to chill out!!! Still in my first year ;)

Ask a Question