The Box Turtles Are Starting To Emerge! :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is always an anxious time of year for me -- the boxies go into brumation [think "hibernation"] usually some time in November and I have to wait until spring to know if they're OK. And this year, while they were asleep, I completely remodeled their habitat! Now, instead of sharing a section of the pond, they have their own private and personal TURTLE BOG!!

Well, 2 of my babies have made appearances so far, and they're apparently not having any trouble finding their new bog! They look healthy!
image.jpg
image.jpg

First picture is "Draco." Second picture is "X-Tra."

And now that they're starting to emerge, we are going to have several days of colder weather -- go figure!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I completely remodeled their habitat! Now, instead of sharing a section of the pond, they have their own private and personal TURTLE BOG!!

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if you shared the project, but judging by the photo it looks awesome!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Off the top of my head, I can't remember if you shared the project, but judging by the photo it looks awesome!
You know, I don't remember if I shared yet or not. Somewhere I have the pics, but am thinking that I was going to hold everything until the finale. The new "turtle bog" isn't 100% complete -- I was trying to get as much done as possible so the turts would have a functional place at least to start off the season. It's done except that it's not connected to the pond yet -- still have some pond work to do before I can finish that part. So for now, what I'm doing is filling it via the PVC manifold from the faucet and letting the water overflow a little. At least that keeps it from being totally stagnate.

Will look for those pics.

Reaction score
They are so adorable! we do have a native species of turtle here but they are VERY rare and hard to find....not to mention illegal to take and unfortunately the only species that would survive.

Reaction score
Mmathis, how do turtles hibernate? I had a little slider in the big pond, but I couldn't catch him before winter set in so I put clay and leaves mixed in a small bucket on the bottom of the pond in hopes it would use it. My understanding water turtles bury themselves in the muck on the bottom and hibernate?
Unfortunately I found him dead :( (along with 8 bull frogs so far :( )
This winter kept the pond frozen over for weeks, I surmise this was the reason for the frog deaths. But what about the turtle?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mmathis, how do turtles hibernate? I had a little slider in the big pond, but I couldn't catch him before winter set in so I put clay and leaves mixed in a small bucket on the bottom of the pond in hopes it would use it. My understanding water turtles bury themselves in the muck on the bottom and hibernate?
Unfortunately I found him dead :( (along with 8 bull frogs so far :( )
This winter kept the pond frozen over for weeks, I surmise this was the reason for the frog deaths. But what about the turtle?
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your slider! I don't know much about aquatic turtles. Box turtles will dig into the ground or into a pile of leaves -- I've observed that they seem to like being "confined," so will usually choose a place, like under a log. I guess how deep they go depends on how cold the ground gets. They don't actually hibernate (animals that hibernate go into a deep sleep). It's called brumate. Their systems just slow down, but they are conscious.

Ask a Question