The fall clean out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well that time of year again. Did a big cleanout preparing for winter. I put a container of sand for a new baby snapping turtle that showed up also. The turtle will be relocated in the spring but welcome for the winter. The dogs think its great fun. Its not all about sitting by the pond having a coffee ;)

Channel02_20141024125031_142.jpg

Channel02_20141024131500_805.jpg

Channel02_20141024131930_723.jpg

Reaction score
That's a serious clean out you have going there! Do you have a lot of surrounding trees? My neighborhood was built on a cornfield in 2003 so my trees are still somewhat small and done make a huge mess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's a serious clean out you have going there! Do you have a lot of surrounding trees? My neighborhood was built on a cornfield in 2003 so my trees are still somewhat small and done make a huge mess.
Lots of trees, I have a huge pear tree at the edge of the pond which drops leaves and pears. It is a bit of work to keep up with it, but only for a couple weeks. We just had a big storm with lots of rain and wind so it dropped a few and I decided to do the clean up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two apple trees that just love to dump apples into the ponds. I would to vac my ponds, but can't, worry too much about the snails, dragon fly larva, tads, mine is very much a garden pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just climbed in the pond for the last time yesterday - no insulated waders here. Just a pair of leggings and a t-shirt. It was cold but INVIGORATING! I didn't dare check the temperature before I got in or I would have chickened out. You just have to take the plunge and get in - once you're numb it's all good!

The pond looks so naked now with all the lilies and cut back, but the handwriting is on the wall - another winter is coming, ready or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Me too, need to get in the pond and haven't got any waders yet and I know that water is cold! Should do it today as it will be getting colder next week. Not looking forward to it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never get in the pond except to maybe retrieve a big rock that falls in. Used to go in more when I felt the need to redo the waterfall rocks everyday for a month straight till I got it right. Now my net on a long pole works just fine getting the gunk or small stuff that falls in out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well I did get the lilies trimmed back today. That water was about 55 degrees! Froze my $%##$ off but got it done. The weather was about 70 degrees yesterday and today but it didn't warm the water much! Next week getting colder so today was the day. Gotta get those insulated chest waders.
I netted the pond a week ago. Used those white plastic fence post that you step on to put into the ground. No doubt it is ugly to look at but it is keeping most of the leaves out. It was windy today and leaves were falling like crazy so sure thankful for the net.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I did get the lilies trimmed back today. That water was about 55 degrees! Froze my $%##$ off but got it done. The weather was about 70 degrees yesterday and today but it didn't warm the water much! Next week getting colder so today was the day. Gotta get those insulated chest waders.
I netted the pond a week ago. Used those white plastic fence post that you step on to put into the ground. No doubt it is ugly to look at but it is keeping most of the leaves out. It was windy today and leaves were falling like crazy so sure thankful for the net.

If I thought I could literally freeze my a** off, I'd live in that pond! ;)

Ask a Question