Thoughts on these Koi

Reaction score
I'm THINKING about buying these 3 koi. What do you think? If anyone knows the correct names for these guys, let me know.

The first one I am calling glitter fish - I have never seen such cool looking scales. I already have a pure white, but this one is something special

Glitter fish.jpg

The next is this white with grey on top butterfly koi. Not sure if the grey will stay or if he will go pure white. Any guesses?

White Butterfly.jpg

The third is the yellow and white butterfly in the middle of the picture, he has some weird scales too, like dragon scales or something.

Yellow Butterfly.jpg

Reaction score
The first is Gin Rin. Not sure what you mean by 'Dragon Scales'.

I don't think its an official term. LOL! The scales are large and shiny. Very cool looking.

They are $35.00USD :( But I guess a $10 fish has to be imported and that ain't cheap. So $35.00 it is.

I might call the first one Ginny then!

I might skip the middle on (white with grey on top) - feeling guilty about spending so much $$. I think the other two are more unusual.

Reaction score
I don't think its an official term. LOL! The scales are large and shiny. Very cool looking.

They are $35.00USD :( But I guess a $10 fish has to be imported and that ain't cheap. So $35.00 it is.

I might call the first one Ginny then!

I might skip the middle on (white with grey on top) - feeling guilty about spending so much $$. I think the other two are more unusual.

Dont let me knock the wind out of your sails. They might be bigger than they look. These will be nice to look at. Personally I enjoy the metallic and shiny Koi that are worth $50 much more than the fish that wealthy koi collectors are willing to pay $20,000 for. I like those fish, but they are going to be a common pond grade fish.

Reaction score
Dont let me knock the wind out of your sails. They might be bigger than they look. These will be nice to look at. Personally I enjoy the metallic and shiny Koi that are worth $50 much more than the fish that wealthy koi collectors are willing to pay $20,000 for. I like those fish, but they are going to be a common pond grade fish.

Nope you didn't. Living here its typical that everything is at a minimum double the price in the US. That's at a minimum.

They are about 6 - 8 inches.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are pretty, I have no clue about what koi are called.

Reaction score
my guess for names are, first pic Gin Rin Platinum Ogon and the two others are Matsuba, they are koi that combine a solid, metallic colored base with a black net pattern. pretty fish may be over priced though.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a pond full of the gin rins including a red and black dragon scale. I wanted to see if the scales show up in offspring. They do! The white with grey may end up a doitsu with a ridge of dark scales down the back.

Ask a Question