Too Late to Add Koi and Plants???

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it too late in the season to add more koi and plants to my pond? If it's not too late, what are some hardy plants that I can add that will survive the salt that I add during water changings (to dechlorinate the water for the koi and goldfish) yet provide them with much needed shade?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
it's not too late, I dont think. I'm adding plants right now :) Any floating plant will be fine until it gets very cold and water lilies too. I'm adding water lily right now.

How much salt did you add? I buy plants from http://www.lilyblooms.com/ or from http://www.bonniesplants.com/. They are easy to order as they tell you if it's hardy or tropical.

I'm also in NC in the triangle, where are you located?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a small handful of the salt pentacrystals. I'm in the triangle too...Clayton. I'm headed over to Atlantic Avenue Orchid & Garden Center on Atlantic Ave in Raleigh. I bought a GORGEOUS lotus from them at the beginning of the summer that's still blooming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
it's not too late, I dont think. I'm adding plants right now :) Any floating plant will be fine until it gets very cold and water lilies too. I'm adding water lily right now.

How much salt did you add? I buy plants from http://www.lilyblooms.com/ or from http://www.bonniesplants.com/. They are easy to order as they tell you if it's hardy or tropical.

I'm also in NC in the triangle, where are you located?
Just a small handful of the salt pentacrystals. I'm in the triangle too...Clayton. I'm headed over to Atlantic Avenue Orchid & Garden Center on Atlantic Ave in Raleigh. I bought a GORGEOUS lotus from them at the beginning of the summer that's still blooming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm in Durham :) I was at Raleigh farmer's market last weekend and got some nice big plants for my pond. you could look into that too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@PinKoiPam Don't forget that you'll want to quarantine any new fish BEFORE they go into the pond -- assuming you already have fish in the pond. If these will be your first fish, then you don't need to QT. Opinions on the period of QT vary, but a minimum of 4 weeks is best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in Durham :) I was at Raleigh farmer's market last weekend and got some nice big plants for my pond. you could look into that too.
Just got back from Atlantic Orchid & Garden. Got some good deals! Bought 2 koi got 2 free. All the pond/bog plants were 30% off, I bought 4: umbrella palm, colocasia mojito, colocasia bikini-tini, and something else (can't remember what it is :confused::dummy1: )

Reaction score
Country
United States
@PinKoiPam Don't forget that you'll want to quarantine any new fish BEFORE they go into the pond -- assuming you already have fish in the pond. If these will be your first fish, then you don't need to QT. Opinions on the period of QT vary, but a minimum of 4 weeks is best.
WHAT!!!! How? I have them floating in their plastic bag in the pond right now. QT them for 4 week where?:eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just got back from Atlantic Orchid & Garden. Got some good deals! Bought 2 koi got 2 free. All the pond/bog plants were 30% off, I bought 4: umbrella palm, colocasia mojito, colocasia bikini-tini, and something else (can't remember what it is :confused::dummy1: )
Haha, I need pictures!

With adding 4 koi to your pond right away, please keep watch your water preamiter as 4 koi can cause ammonia spike. It shouldn't be that bad for established pond but if the pond is small, it could still hurt the balance a bit.

Next year the koi will be big. You might want to start thinking about expanding the pond now ;)

Koi is tempting for me, but I wont do it, they get too big and live too long lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haha, I need pictures!

With adding 4 koi to your pond right away, please keep watch your water preamiter as 4 koi can cause ammonia spike. It shouldn't be that bad for established pond but if the pond is small, it could still hurt the balance a bit.

Next year the koi will be big. You might want to start thinking about expanding the pond now ;)

Koi is tempting for me, but I wont do it, they get too big and live too long lol.
Expand the pond! WHAT!!! It's 4000 gallons. It should be bigger?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Thalia
IMG_6576.JPG

floating heart white and yellow
IMG_6575.JPG

full pond
IMG_6574.JPG