President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
1. Pond location

Too many times have I seen ponds built in the absolute worst area of the backyard. From covering swales to digging the pond in the low spot. Location is key when building a pond. The area where you think it will look the best isn't necessarily the ideal location. Low spots will gather water which will undermine the liner, cause hippos and drain lawn fertilizer into the pond are just a few of the unforeseen problems that can occur with improper placement. Want lilies? Sun exposure is key.

2. Underestimating the dig

Few people bother to actually calculate how many yards are going to come out of that hole in the ground. Fewer still realize it until they've got a huge mound of dirt and don't know what to do with it. Filling the swale isn't advisable, nor is altering the grade of your land without a permit. This is often the cause of why the resulting pond is too shallow.

3. Going cheap on the liner

I've seen a wide, wide array of improper materials that have been adapted to the role of "liner". The liner is the backbone of the pond. There's absolutely no point in going to all the trouble, time and expense to dig a hole and then line it with a substandard material that is going to necessitate you doing it all over again. Cushion the liner, don't stick it down on the bottom of the excavated hole.

4. Underpowered pumps

I don't know why the calculation of total pond volume is such a mathematical feat. Total pond volume should be turned over at least once every 1.5-2.0hrs. Sump pumps are cheap, but won't last. Overcompensating for pump filtration leads to thermo-trips and will shorten pump life.

5. Overstocking of fish

Many people put a whole whack of fish into their ponds as soon as they've built them. Surely they realize that they'll multiply? As the fish population multiplies, it puts stress on the whole balance of the pond. Some homeowners act as though these fish are like puppy dogs. They're not. Cull the uglies. Maintain proper fish load.

6. Lack of filtration

A sponge on the intake of a pump is not filtration. Use a combination of biological and mechanical filtration.

7. Overplanting/Underplanting

Too many plants will turn what was supposed to be a pond into a swamp. Divide and toss, divide and toss. Not having enough filtration plants (ie. rushes), and surface cover (lily pads) will make balance difficult.

8. Over maintaining/ Under maintaining

Cleaning of filters too often, scrubbing liners and a constant, unending attention to keeping everything "clean" is the main cause of grubbiness. Stop cleaning them so often. If you wanted a pool, you should have put in a pool. Dead lily pads should be removed, dead lilies should be removed before they sink to the bottom and rot.

9. Extension cords

Too many times have I seen electrical nightmares, lack of GFCIs and buried extension cords. Spend the money and do it right or prepare to have a fresh, new hairstyle that'll look good on you at your viewing.

10. Uneven dig

Nothing will throw off the overall look of the finished pond than an uneven water level.

11. Mixing rock types

Using every rock under the sun with no regard for aesthetics makes the finished product look like a rock rummage sale. Dress your pond as you would yourself, match and compliment.

12. Loose overhanging stones

A shifted stone that falls off the edge of a pond can pick up a lot of momentum before that sharp edge comes in contact with the liner. Patches are easy, but the time involved........

Feel free to add, I've only scratched the proverbial surface....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just completed the technical stuff and have my pond running and cycled (with no issues). I don't know if this is a problem but I think my pump is too strong and want my stream to babble more then a rushing river. My pond is 1000 gals and my pump is a Leader 410 rated at 2100 gph. with inches of head and 15' distance to falls box. It was on my mind the whole dig but there was no way I would know when the stream run would be like until I hooked everything up. I wish I would have made my "wintering section" with a bigger circumference so my net can move easily with out having to use odd angles. Ah live and learn.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
10. Uneven dig

Nothing will throw off the overall look of the finished pond than an uneven water level.

That for me was one of the toughest aspects of pond building. Even with leveling all the way around and double checking, it was always off. Its something I had to do by eye once the stones were placed so I could see where the liner was higher. I finally have most of my pond level but still have a side that shows a little bit of liner. Maybe I'll get to it, eventually...

Filtration was one of the most difficult parts too.

Reaction score
Excellent thread! It's an oldie but a goodie since members here come and go.

I got a chuckle from #9 :)
Oh no wonder this is familiar. I put much of this into consideration when building. I must have read this and put the notes in my pond binder last winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have trouble with # 5.....not managing your fish load, but the culling part. I've had luck placing fish at local pet shops, giving to friends and would consider Craig"s List.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well,
I have trouble with # 5.....not managing your fish load, but the culling part. I've had luck placing fish at local pet shops, giving to friends and would consider Craig"s List.

a) the shipment of live fish across provincial lines is most often illegal, unless there's a health certificate
b) pet shops don't want your ugly brown ones
c) friends want pretty fish, not your ugly ones
d) it's illegal, and unethical to release them into natural ponds and streams.
e) that, in my opinion, leaves the garden fertilizer option. They're not puppy dogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Re #10 - especially important if you build a raised pond. If the levels aren't right, it'll be plain for all to see and can't be disguised with rocks. The spirit level worked overtime when we were building this.

20140621_114924-jpg.72682

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well,

a) the shipment of live fish across provincial lines is most often illegal, unless there's a health certificate
b) pet shops don't want your ugly brown ones
c) friends want pretty fish, not your ugly ones
d) it's illegal, and unethical to release them into natural ponds and streams.
e) that, in my opinion, leaves the garden fertilizer option. They're not puppy dogs.

I have ugly friends - LOL!

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Tula, you only have ugly friends until you get enough gin in you. Gin makes everyone a movie star.

Ask a Question