Transforming pool into pond

Reaction score
I have a large-ish fiberglass lined in ground swimming pool that I am turning into a pond. I'd also like to cover it with a greenhouse to keep it warm and keep out nasties, but it's an "L" shape, and I'm not sure how well I can accomplish that.
Any recommendations/resources by those who've traveled before me?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What part of california? Are you sure you need to worry about keeping it warm, you might have keeping it cool issues.

If it is like my pool in arizona, you should already have a bottom drain, return piping to the pool. The main thing you will need to do is convert the filter, pool filters don't work well with ponds.

Here are a bunch of links to people that have converted from a pool to a pond

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Reaction score
There are a couple of people here in Phoenix who have converted pools into greenhouses. Here's one. It's an interesting idea to only use part of the pool's depth for the pond and I love going inside of them on cold days.

I plan on building a greenhouse over my next pond. I don't think there's anything unique about the construction. Any normal greenhouse construction I think should work. L shape shouldn't matter either. Depends on how far you want to go. You could build a rectanglar structure enclosing the whole deal and some yard. Or just build a greenhouse over part of the pond. There are companies who specialize in enclosing pools.

Reaction score
Thanks, I am in San Jose, zone 8b/9a, I believe. The pool is never actually "warm". Right now I think it's in the 50s.

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a DIY one. It's pretty much 16' across, and there's a concrete sidewalk around it.

Reaction score
A favorite DIY greenhouse involves using PVC pipe and a plastic cover. 16' is a pretty wide span for that type of system but doable. These aren't very long lasting structures but they're cheap and easy to build.

The next step up is a permanent structure which is a lot more work and cost. Plastic sheet can be used for these too to reduce initial cost.

Next step up would be polycarbonate panels instead of plastic sheet.

Real glass is top of the line and requires more structure.

For ponds in Feb 50's is considered warm.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm almost thinking of going 20' so I can have some room to walk around. There are a lot of things I'd spend real money on around the house before I built a real enclosure.
I also have always kind of hated my pool filter, so I'm pretty cool with looking at other options.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is a warm 48 and the darn fish act like they are doing some chasing and bumping each other.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
DoDad
Has a lot of pics of his pool makeover a year or two back a year , just do a search

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Isn't Minnows pond similar to a pool with a big green house structure they built over it .

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Deck ponds

in
Greenhouse ponds
in Garden Pond Talk
Started by minnowman, 04 Sep 2011
Hi Canute. Sissy has a good memory. Here are some links to those posts. The deck pond greenhouses are for winter only. The big greenhouse is permanent but it has screen walls with removable plastic sheeting and vent windows at the top. Greenhouses can get very hot in the Summer without good ventilation( 120*F plus).

Reaction score
My pond is a warm 48 and the darn fish act like they are doing some chasing and bumping each other.
Yeah, I got 57 yesterday. Kind of wondering about what those guys were saying, that the greenhouse didn't warm the water up very much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Canute, If you are thinking about Koi or goldfish they both do fine in 50 degree water. They are both from the carp family and are cold blooded which means they don't feel the cold, just their metabolism slows down in cooler temps and they don't need to be fed once water temps get down to the mid 50's. Our temperatures goes a lot lower than that and have never had any problems. You don't need to keep your pond warm in the winter unless you want to. You might want to focus on filtration etc first and think about the cover later.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is un-covered, no heater, the water at its coldest, was 32-33. Right now sitting at 37. I was watching the fish nibble on plant roots last night. They have been more active since the water moved into the 40 plus range, just dropped again yesterday.

Ask a Question