turning green

Reaction score
I have built an 8000 gal pond using EPDM liner. Water is pumped through a bog and runs back by water fall. Have around 40 1 1/2" gold fish fed once daily only what they can eat. In pond I've placed one potted Lilly pad. Not yet grown to water level. Bog has several native plants that came from surrounding areas. Is it normal for water to start turning a shade of green to get proper cycle of nature going. By the way my pump is 5700 per hr

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I wouldn't count on "a couple weeks"... the duration of the pea-soup cycle depends on your specific conditions. It will last longer with warmer water, but more plants will definitely help. With my pond, I think it lasted about 5 weeks before everything balanced out, and may even start going to a mucky-brown. Then you will see a sudden and dramatic change and the water will clear up. You can't really expect much from the pond the first year, but if you get a lot of plants going now then next year it will be fantastic!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
add grasses just remember to trim roots often the really help I divided mine .fountain grass and zebra grass .i also cut it back .It can get big here fast .It is for landscaping but really sucks up stuff in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Hey sissy, what's your experience with zebra grass? I've had two clusters for the past 3 years, they seem to be doing "ok", but never really expand. One is in about 8-10" of water, the other is in 6", planted directly into a gravel bed in the stream where they get lots of fish poo. They grow about 3' tall, but I would have expected each group to have spread larger by now. Any thoughts on this? I love the look of the stems, and would love to have them fill in more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My understanding was that it can grow well up to 12" deep. In a bog you should have no problems at all because the water level should remain just below, or even with the gravel level.

Ask a Question