Turtle Sanctuary

The indoor habitats that house my personal pet turtles and the ones who are not suitable for adoption and are therefor retired to the sanctuary to live comfortably and safely.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Marshall, all your tanks look like they have been recently set up.
Do you have any pictures of turtle tanks that have been going for a longer period of time?
I'm wondering what long term maintenance is like.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Do you have any pictures of turtle tanks that have been going for a longer period of time?
All of these tanks are 5 years or older. Maintenance is on a weekly basis and that is why they look the way they do.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
A good way to tell the age of a tank is the condition of the glass which on my tanks is unfortunately pretty scratched up but like I said the water quality and cleanliness is a misleading marker of age when you consider my regiment of cleaning is once every 6 days for water changes and every 15 days for a full clean and change with filtration getting serviced once a month to 45 days depending on need.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If those tanks have been running for 5 years, then you have an impressive cleaning regime and obvious dedication to your turtles.
Well done, Marshall.(y)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
If those tanks have been running for 5 years, then you have an impressive cleaning regime and obvious dedication to your turtles.
Well done, Marshall.(y)
I did overlook the one tank that the females are in is in fact brand new but I already made a post about them and that tank is not in the showcase anyway. I would agree I am dedicated but impressive... lol nah just dedicated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
great job! One of the picture of the turtle looks like he's stretching, so cute :)

I agree that the tanks look really clean. Great job!!!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
what filters do you use?
Two UV filters inside each tank and then the biofiltration + second and third stages are all external global filter units that maintain the entire rescue turtles water supply. As far as a normal filter goes it really does not do well to use anything designed for normal fish tanks as turtles are extremely filthy animals and will cash a normal filter in a matter of a few days. One of the best setups for a single tank is to add a UV filter and then just do a 30% water change every 3 to 4 days and a 100% change once every 7 to 10 days and you won't have a filter to clean and the water will stay cleaner and healthier for the turtles who in nature are used to large amounts of water that flow all the time keeping it fresh.

Ask a Question