Under the microscope... Is it harmful [or not] for my fish?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my attempt to identify the "bag guys," the parasitic critters that are harmful to our fish, I feel the need to be able to identify the "good guys" first. And since it's been a LONG time since I had any biology or microbiology classes, my microscopy skills have long since vanished :confused:.

And what do you do to hone your skills? :wideyed:Practice, practice, practice.......:wacky: Here is the result of most recent practice.....

NOT HARMFUL....... Thought you might like to see some of what's down there :eek:. I've found some bizarre-looking things, but as scary as they look :vamp:, they're not problems for our fish :joyful:. And there are a few things that I haven't been able to ID.....but still doubt that they're parasitic. Basically, if it is colored [green, red, yellow, orange....] it's some type of algae or a "photosynthetic protist."

No idea what this first one is, but it's either something in the process of dividing, or it's an organism [don't recall the name] that is symetrical.....
image.jpg

Not sure about the "blue-green algae," but this does look like pictures I saw on the internet. And note, that's clostERIUM not clostRIDIUM. It looks like a banana....
image.jpg

Again, no idea, but I did see some things on the internet that looked like it. Also, not sure [but pretty sure] if these 2 are the same thing.
image.jpg

I recall seeing something like this, but don't recall what it was -- which makes it fun to search for, right?
image.jpg

When I first saw the yellow-circled things, I thought "parasite," [Trichodina] until I did more research on diatoms. And the green-circled thing is one turned on its side -- they are made like boxes. And these were not moving.
image.jpg

If you have comments or can ID something in these pictures, please chime in!

@shakaho if you're still out there......

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This will be my only comment in this thread. I am staying silent because the fun and excitement is discovering the identity of the myriad micro- and meio-organisms yourself.
One exception--Photo 3 is the same organism specie but I'm not saying what.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This will be my only comment in this thread. I am staying silent because the fun and excitement is discovering the identity of the myriad micro- and meio-organisms yourself.

Darn! LOL!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

#3 looks like your profile pic to me Meyer

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
In my attempt to identify the "bag guys," the parasitic critters that are harmful to our fish, I feel the need to be able to identify the "good guys" first. And since it's been a LONG time since I had any biology or microbiology classes, my microscopy skills have long since vanished :confused:.

And what do you do to hone your skills? :wideyed:Practice, practice, practice.......:wacky: Here is the result of most recent practice.....

NOT HARMFUL....... Thought you might like to see some of what's down there :eek:. I've found some bizarre-looking things, but as scary as they look :vamp:, they're not problems for our fish :joyful:. And there are a few things that I haven't been able to ID.....but still doubt that they're parasitic. Basically, if it is colored [green, red, yellow, orange....] it's some type of algae or a "photosynthetic protist."

No idea what this first one is, but it's either something in the process of dividing, or it's an organism [don't recall the name] that is symetrical.....
View attachment 85783

Not sure about the "blue-green algae," but this does look like pictures I saw on the internet. And note, that's clostERIUM not clostRIDIUM. It looks like a banana....
View attachment 85784

Again, no idea, but I did see some things on the internet that looked like it. Also, not sure [but pretty sure] if these 2 are the same thing.
View attachment 85785

I recall seeing something like this, but don't recall what it was -- which makes it fun to search for, right?
View attachment 85786

When I first saw the yellow-circled things, I thought "parasite," [Trichodina] until I did more research on diatoms. And the green-circled thing is one turned on its side -- they are made like boxes. And these were not moving.
View attachment 85787

If you have comments or can ID something in these pictures, please chime in!

@shakaho if you're still out there......

The blue-green algae is cyanobacteria

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Actually I don't have the links anymore because I downloaded the entire files to my computer. I would be happy to send what I have to you or anyone else BUT this Forum's mail software will not accept large files as attactments to comments. Evidently set up to only handle photos and small files like links. I might try uploading them as Articles if this would be OK with the Forum Admin. Or I can send them to personal email accounts for those that are interested.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually I don't have the links anymore because I downloaded the entire files to my computer. I would be happy to send what I have to you or anyone else BUT this Forum's mail software will not accept large files as attactments to comments. Evidently set up to only handle photos and small files like links. I might try uploading them as Articles if this would be OK with the Forum Admin. Or I can send them to personal email accounts for those that are interested.
I don't see why it would be a problem. Just have the source mentioned so no copy right issues.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't see why it would be a problem. Just have the source mentioned so no copy right issues.
Copyright infringement is not a problem with 'Open Access' on the internet. What I need to know is can files be uploaded and opened in the Articles section. Past articles have been Copy/Paste which will not work for some of the files that I have (diagrams, photos, PPT presentations, etc.) Just too much time involved for me to Copy/Paste, convert and/or whatever before uploading.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That I do not know, ask in the feed back section, Becky or Ian will let you know.

Ask a Question