UV Clarifier Help

Reaction score
Please help! New pond, pea green. Tried new filter, barley, algaecide, etc... Decided to go with UV clarifier. My question is, should I go with a clarifier + pump and just let it set in the bottom as another pump (I have a 1500 gph pump). Or, do I buy one that is inline and install it in my 1 1/4" line. If I do that, does the uv clarifier have to handle 1500 gph? Please help- my obsession has reached fever pitch for clear water!

Reaction score
Go inline, save Kw not running another pump, and use it to go with a bigger wattage on the UV light.
If you hook it inline plumb it so it has a bypass line with a valve you can set to adjust the flow.

Reaction score
Around 650 gallons. Thanks for the help! Hey Mucky- do you mean that I should split the line from my pump, install the UV on one, and then have the two line connect before the filter? And that one of the splits should have a valve?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a 9 watt U.V should be plenty... most shouldnt have any problem handling a 1500 gph pump. tetraponds 9 watters are rated up to 1900gph i would imagine most are similar in rates. should be perfect for a 650 gal pond. and you shouldnt need a bypass setup, but it wouldnt hurt.. i used a 9 watter on my 450 gal pond, and my 1200 gal pond pushed by a 1,000 gph & 1200gph tetrapond pumps.... you can do, like i've always done...run it till the waters clear. run it maybe an extra week for good measure. turn it off, disconnect and remove it, clean it up and put it away til next year. its likely you wont need it more than 2 weeks a year.

Reaction score
since you already have pvc plumbing adding an inline can work.. ideally uv before pump.. if you can split before pump and then combine into one at the pump.. still might add a valve anyways before the uv just in- case your flow is still too fast, since you already have it taken apart per say

Reaction score
I like Aqua UV. I don't like any of the combo, green soft plastic products.

The UV you buy will provide a maximum flow. If you exceed that flow there's a good chance it won't work. You may need an even lower flow if the water is very opaque. I suggest hooking into your current pump but you will need to spit the pipe and I suggest adding a ball valve before the UV so you can turn it down. If the other pipe outflow is higher than the UV you probably won't need a ball valve on that other pipe.

If the water doesn't clear within 3-5 days turn down the flow.

Double check you're nothing installing it upside down. That can trap air inside and it doesn't work very well. You can even tip it a bit so the outflow end is a little higher, just enough for air to collect there.

If you buy a UV that is larger, or much larger, than the manufacturer recommends you'd be wasting money buying and running it. Algae can only be killed once.

Reaction score
and yes an external/internal tetra uv filter or similar with pump and filter will work just fine.. and i agree no need to run continuously... but an inline filter can be unplugged just as well

Reaction score
Around 650 gallons. Thanks for the help! Hey Mucky- do you mean that I should split the line from my pump, install the UV on one, and then have the two line connect before the filter? And that one of the splits should have a valve?
Exactly.
However if you go with a small wattage like some are suggesting, you should put the valve on the UV light side. A small UV light will not be able to handle much flow and to get it to work properly you may have to restrict it a lot.

Ask a Question