Uv light

Reaction score
My pond is now a lovely shade of green : ( have tried the bonding green water solution with no luck what are ppls thoughts on the uv lighting system my pond is 7000 lts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've run a 9 watt UV for years, it's in my pressurized filter. I've NEVER battled green water like this year!! My ammonia is near 0 and little to no, string algae. I broke down and purchased a 26 watt UV, it came today and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for clearer water in the next week!

I don't know what to attribute so much suspended algae to this year. I know it's often thought to be too many organics, but the pond has no detritus etc. I don't know if it's linked to the heavy rains of this summer, but I'd like to see my fish!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Rain rain and more rain and to many up and down temperatures .We get 90's during the day and it can go down below 70 at night .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Rain rain and more rain and to many up and down temperatures .We get 90's during the day and it can go down below 70 at night .
I'm just so tired of it, it's very discouraging to wait all winter to enjoy ponding and then not be able to see the fish :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine has been some what green but expected until the pond gets some age on it .Then the good kicks in and all goes great and clear

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My pond is now a lovely shade of green : ( have tried the bonding green water solution with no luck what are ppls thoughts on the uv lighting system my pond is 7000 lts

How many fish? Do you have plants? A few or a lot? What size pump (flow rate)? How old is the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Mine has been some what green but expected until the pond gets some age on it .Then the good kicks in and all goes great and clear
This pond is about 8-10 years old. Water was clear last month, and never had trouble before. I've got floating baskets of parrots feather going, lilies, forget me nots , water celery and grasses, grow at the pond's edge , so hoping plants will help too.

Reaction score
I was so sick of green water that I installed a Pro Clear UV light. In a few days it cleared up and has been that way ever since. I posted a link to a Youtube video showing the brand and installation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What size pond do you have and what wattage is your UV-C , sometimes they arent man enough to do the job other times they need a bit of help , we have a twin bulbed 36 watt on our system and this year we had to use CloverLeaf Blanket answer after the water turned green whilst still under the Policarbonate roofing sheets in a cold late spring .
Since using cloverleaf weve had no problems whatsoever its safe to use all it is is a mixture of minerals and enzymes in powderd form .
The water is clear down to the bottom

Dave

Ask a Question