UV Lighting

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any alternatives then buying a huge UV light fixture for $100?

I have a lot of reptiles and UV lights. Could I I just place one of those outside my pond to shine UV inside to break up some algae? Or do these lights needs to be situated in the pond and therefore a pond one is a better purchase?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought mine on ebay 30 dollars with 3 bulbs 18 watt one .Topdoggsellart ,not sure he has them .I also bought the glass tube with the ballast and it just sits inside my filter .I wanted to see if it worked and it does .You just need to keep the ballast top out of the water .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
A uv clarifier works by bringing the correct amount of water to very close proximity of a very powerful uv light source. The uv bulbs in your open fixtures are not even close to the same thing as those found in quality clarifiers. After what I have observed so far this year I'm not a big supporter of the need for uv clarifiers anymore. Keep in mind that the fish don't mind green water at all and that any algae that is present is actually using nutrients. This is the first year I have not had a uv light and at the same time have completely open water with zero shade.I went through the pea soup phase 2 months ago and my water is totally clear. In years past I always thought it was my lily keeping the water clear but I pulled it end of last year. I expected my water to look like green paint by this time. The facts are that once a pond becomes mature and the bio and mechanical filters are doing there job then green water will not be able to get a foothold.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the closed twist one from toppdogg but I wanted to see what would happen since I had some of the parts already .Plus one advantage I have seen with it is that the frogs do not go in my filter and lay lots of eggs that clog up my filter .I have not seen one taddie in there and last year i had so many that I had to clean part of the filter out just like all the years before .Plus I have not seen any mosquito larvae .Not sure this is why but this is the first year I have tried it .Been so long I have had to unclog my filters from them that this is a relief to me

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A uv clarifier works by bringing the correct amount of water to very close proximity of a very powerful uv light source. The uv bulbs in your open fixtures are not even close to the same thing as those found in quality clarifiers. After what I have observed so far this year I'm not a big supporter of the need for uv clarifiers anymore. Keep in mind that the fish don't mind green water at all and that any algae that is present is actually using nutrients. This is the first year I have not had a uv light and at the same time have completely open water with zero shade.I went through the pea soup phase 2 months ago and my water is totally clear. In years past I always thought it was my lily keeping the water clear but I pulled it end of last year. I expected my water to look like green paint by this time. The facts are that once a pond becomes mature and the bio and mechanical filters are doing there job then green water will not be able to get a foothold.

You sound like my mom. I mean that with the most respect. She always goes off how let it work itself out. Put plants in there. Cover the surface area of the water. Yes that differes from what you said as you do not have any shade on your pond.

Don't want to pay anymore money. Dropped a lot of money in the pond lately.

Based on what you said it appears that I'm just in an algae stage? That should clear up over time? I in theory have two filter boxes with two filters in each.

Fish do love algae I knew that one as little information as I do know. But it sucks not seeing my guys as they hide at the very bottom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing algae seems to be a great fertilizer when you throw it out of your pond onto plants .Remember plants use up a lot of oxygen at night .Plants give it off during the day .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It will clear as your pond matures,how long it takes for that to happen can vary quite a bit I suppose. I thumped the gotta have a uv light bible for quite awhile but I see now I was mistaken. Don't get me wrong,they DO work they just aren't necessary.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True I did not get one until around 2 years ago and only because I was taking care of peoples fish and they told me to buy one and then told me to keep it because they got a bigger one.Once established you can still use it in the spring to help your pond .It is the twist design which is supposed to allow the water to stay inside it longer ,not sure if that helps it or not .I use it early spring .

Ask a Question