Vac hose for waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I am building a waterfall in a rock garden. It has about a 10 foot head. I have a Pond Boss 2300 pump and would like to use one and one half inch hose. I have a length of Haviland pool vacuum hose which seems like it would work fine. It has a smooth inside surface.
Is there any reason I could not go with this hose?
Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I don't see why not. We've had members here who have used spa tubing, which might be the same thing (????) with no problems.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Use proper non-kinked tubing for rigidity and strength. Incorporate a quick-connect for ease of service and winter line draining (should your geographical area require). Tubing is pretty cheap. Replacing a failed line often isn't.

Cam Lock.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. If I have to buy a new hose I will definitely go with a flexible pond pump hose instead of a pool vacuum hose. Not really that much money in the overall scheme of things!

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it's a straight run, use the solid tubing rather than the kink-free.

It's easier to add the quick-connects to the solid tubing that it is to the kink-free.

If you opt for the kink-free tubing, you may find that you need to wrap your connections in electrical tape to a certain thickness to obtain a tight fit of the kink-free tubing over the connection(s).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking at Maxx Flex, Hydromax brand hose. I can get the 50 Feet I need for $69.99 with free shipping. Any advice on this brand?
Thanks again

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Tubing is tubing, just ensure that you get it from a reputable pond supplier.

You going with the smooth-bore or the kink-free? Smooth-bore isn't as flexible as the kink-free, but it's tougher and offers less resistance to water flow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the description of the hose I was looking at. It says it is no kink, with a smooth interior.

From the reservoir to the top spillway is a large sweeping 35' arch. There are no straight runs.

You mentioned ordering from a reputable supplier. I found many suppliers online. Are there any suppliers you can recommend that folks have had good luck with it?
Thanks.

MAXXFlex™ HydroMAXX™ Black non-kink hose provides the strength and flexibility required for situations requiring less strength and durability than our flexible PVC hose. Corrugated on the outside and smooth on the inside to speed liquid and material flow, this lightweight hose is designed for use with PVC insert or barbed fittings. It will not collapse due to back pressure or a reasonably amount of cover or fill material. It is easy to use and cut, does not encourage the growth of algae and is easily camouflaged for use in pond and other applications where it is not buried. It is non-toxic and will not harm fish or aquatic plants. The “UL” or “US” sized hose is best used with Alita, Atlantic Water Gardens, Aquascape, Little Giant, Oase, Pondmaster and Savio products. Please note that due to variations in fitting sizes, some buildup may be required for a secure and waterproof fit.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you've got a long, sweeping arch that doesn't need any tight turns, then the flexible tubing is probably your better bet over the kink-free variety.

Flexible tubing has a larger wall thickness than the kink-free, making it more durable than the kink-free, able to take more load (ie. stone over top), and less susceptible to crimpling.

With the flexible, you generally don't need to "build up" your connections due the the smooth-bore inner surface.

As to reputable suppliers, I simply meant from a pond supply company. I have no idea what your local supplier is, but they generally all get the product from the same source.

Attachments

• Flexible Tubing.jpg
    Flexible Tubing.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 173
  • kink-free tubing.jpg
    kink-free tubing.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 168

Ask a Question