Was not paying attention to position of materials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I removed the white and green filter mats and the filter bag to clean them, then forgot what order they go back in!

I think the bag with the ribbon-type material on the left goes in the very bottom, then the green filter goes on top of that and the white filter pads is at the very top. There were some rocks on top of the white filter to hold them down and to increase water flow. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. It's how that waterfall was built.

I need to buy new material, but in case I am not describing things correctly, see the photos. Click to enlarge.

filters1.jpg

green thing.jpg

Have I got the order of materials correctly in place?

Also, the guy who built the pond put a small little stand type thing for the above bag to sit on within the waterfall box, except the darn legs fall off. That can't be normal.

:wacky:

Attachments

• green thing.jpg
    green thing.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 216
  • green thing.jpg
    green thing.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You really have to remember these things for the future as incorrectly placed materials could give you problems , also be careful anout these bits of kit because if you've broken part of it and that cant be replaced it means ripping the whole filter out and buying a new one .

Dave

Reaction score
. What you want o happen is for the water to go through the green or white material first in order to trap the dirt. So if the water goes in through the bottom then put the material on the bottom. If it goes through the top then put it on the top. The purpose of the ribbon material is to give bacteria a place to grow on. If you put it before the other filter material and it the first thing that the water hits the worse that will happen will be that it will get covered with crud. You don't need the white and green material. I use blue and it keeps the dirt out. You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon. At some point you may want to get rid of everything the guy made and make your own simplified skippy filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
matala-filter-media-pads.jpg
Do you mean this blue material?
The water does come up from the bottom of the waterfall box. So the filter pads should be on the bottom and the ribbon stuff should go on top?

It's the white and green filters that get the dirtiest, not the ribbon thing, but if you say that's not the correct order, I believe you and the other folks who are saying the same thing.

Do you have to weigh down the ribbon material with a rock to keep it from popping up and floating out into the pond? Right now I have a rock weighing down the white filter that's on top. The green is below it, then the ribbon material. I'll have to change the order of the materials for correct placement.

The Microbe lift is what goes on the ribbon material? How often does that go on? I have not put any treatment in the pond in a while. The fish look good and I like the aeration kit. The stones are moving around in the pond. Should they be secured to stay in one place? There are two.

This is all a bit overwhelming. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Take one step at a time.
Really should be no need to add MicrobeLift or any other bacterial treatments.
The ribbon filter media should not float out into the pond, but f it makes you feel better, a small rock can be placed in the center to hold it down. Sometime in the future you may want to consider replacing this media with bioballs or lava rock in mesh bags. Much easier to handle.

Reaction score
Yes that is the blue material. They make different colors to identify finer materials that trap more but all that stuff isn't necessary IMHO. I use blue but green or white would do. You can use it for several years just rinse it out with a hose. Just be sure that you put it at the bottom so that the water has to get through it in order to filter out the dirt. Since you have three colors I would put the least dense one first on the bottom to trap the larger particles followed by the next densest then the most densest to trap what ever has gotten through the other layers.. (is densest a word?) I really do think this is an over kill though

Ask a Question