Water Changes

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So there was a thread on facebook talking about water changes, how much and how often. Is this something that most people do? I only add water when the pond gets low, usually a few inches maybe 1x a month but I'm curious about the reasoning behind it.

Reaction score
The first year I changed my water twice because I couldn't keep it from turning green. Now that I have installed a UV light and automatic water feeder I never touch it. I have no idea how much water is being fed or if any is being fed. Whatever is happening the water is clear and the plants and fish are doing fine. I also never test the water but that is for another thread in the future.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do the same JB and did the same when I started my pond last year mgmine. I just keep reading that there are people who swear that frequent water changes (up to 30%) is a must to reduce various issues. I was just curious about the reasoning behind it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I only do a water change in spring and fall. Other than that I just top off. I keep a very high plant density though and have never had issues even with my pond being overstocked with fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My spring/fall changes are usually pretty big. I would say mine are 75%, but that is just because of where I placed my drain. I am sure most people will not recommend a water change that big, but I am a rebel like that. lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMO, Water changes are necessary for the long term health of your fish. Although I have noticed that many members of this forum do not necessarily do them. Not really sure why? From what I have learned most all serious koi keepers do regular water changes (I personally don't have koi but would still like to keep my fish healthy)

By doing water changes you remove excess nitrates and/or heavy metals that build up if you are only topping off evaporated water. They help rid your pond water of organics that build up and may not have been taken care of by your filter. And the fresh water also replaces minerals that are necessary for your fish.

This is just basic fish care/maintenance that I learned from keeping aquariums but I feel it also applies to ponds. I mean no disrespect by this (to those who don't do water changes) but I'm not really sure why anyone would argue the point?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
By doing water changes you remove excess nitrates and/or heavy metals that build up if you are only topping off evaporated water.
This is why aquatic plantings are so important. With the proper balance of plants to fish, Nitrates will not build-up nor will heavy metals.

They help rid your pond water of organics that build up and may not have been taken care of by your filter.
With adequate surface area (SSA) and a functioning Carbon cycle this should, at most, only be an occasional and passing issue, like after a spawn.

And the fresh water also replaces minerals that are necessary for your fish.
This has always been an interesting belief. Notwithstanding that the minerals and trace elements that are required for fish nutrition are contained in most commercial fish food, one would need to know not only which minerals and/or trace elements needed replenishing and the amount needed for each one, but also the levels of each the source (replacement) water contained. Otherwise it is no more than a 'crap shoot'.

It is a proven fact that any abrupt change in an aquatic environment, such as water changes, will trigger acute stress in fish. Given, in most cases, the obvious limited value of water changes, this is stress that can be avoided

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Backflushing our bead filter and waterfall filter every week or two necessitates a water change of approx. 60 gallons, or one percent of our system volume. I don't believe this periodic flushing of concentrated, mechanically filtered organic/inorganic material causes acute stress in our fish. Granted, our water changes are minuscule for a 6000 gal. system, but without regular maintenance our vortex bead filter will become a four-foot-wide tank full of poop:
image.jpeg

I do agree, however, that anything beyond tiny, slowly replenished changes are unnecessary and possibly disruptive to the chain of life.

Ask a Question