Water feature design - Am I missing anything?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m still designing my water features and had a few questions.
Recap: My pond was built on a slope so it is part below ground and part above ground. The above-ground part is PT 4 x 6 timbers. It is 10’ x 10’ with the deepest part being almost 3’. It has a rubber lining (which is actually 20’ x 20’). It has a bottom drain. At this point, nothing else is installed (it is part of a bigger project which I hope to have all framed before we get snow).

Please see attached diagram. #Note: I’m not good at 3D so it’s hard to see the actual layout (it’s on a slope). The water level of the bog is above that of the pond. The water level of the Water Garden is above that of the bog.

The Skimmer has two chambers. It was designed to hold a submersible pump on the right. The right chamber was fitted with a bulkhead that connects to the bottom drain.

Coming out is a Wye with a ball valve at each outlet. The idea is to have the ability to adjust water flow between the waterfall/filter and the gardens (assuming the gardens need a slower flow).

The “Water Garden” is for ornamental plants (the pond will have nothing in it but Koi). Water enters through a bulk head at the bottom and exits as a waterfall at the top.

The bog is for growing basil and other vegetables/spices. Water spills into the bog (at the top) and exits through an opening at the bottom (gravel is held in place by a wire mesh). The water then spills back into the pond.

Aeration is from the waterfall/filter as well as a membrane in the bottom drain (connected to an air pump).

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!
side view.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’m still designing my water features and had a few questions.
Recap: My pond was built on a slope so it is part below ground and part above ground. The above-ground part is PT 4 x 6 timbers. It is 10’ x 10’ with the deepest part being almost 3’. It has a rubber lining (which is actually 20’ x 20’). It has a bottom drain. At this point, nothing else is installed (it is part of a bigger project which I hope to have all framed before we get snow).

Please see attached diagram. #Note: I’m not good at 3D so it’s hard to see the actual layout (it’s on a slope). The water level of the bog is above that of the pond. The water level of the Water Garden is above that of the bog.

The Skimmer has two chambers. It was designed to hold a submersible pump on the right. The right chamber was fitted with a bulkhead that connects to the bottom drain.

Coming out is a Wye with a ball valve at each outlet. The idea is to have the ability to adjust water flow between the waterfall/filter and the gardens (assuming the gardens need a slower flow).

The “Water Garden” is for ornamental plants (the pond will have nothing in it but Koi). Water enters through a bulk head at the bottom and exits as a waterfall at the top.

The bog is for growing basil and other vegetables/spices. Water spills into the bog (at the top) and exits through an opening at the bottom (gravel is held in place by a wire mesh). The water then spills back into the pond.

Aeration is from the waterfall/filter as well as a membrane in the bottom drain (connected to an air pump).

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 86837

Looks good. I am assuming that you plan on removing debris from the Water Garden and 'Bog' manually.
What is the pump's flow rate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I didn't think of that ( this is why we post before we implement :)) ! I was focused on the fish pond but leaves, acorns etc will be falling into the Bog and the Garden. I could make the Garden opening on the bottom. But then the debris will be stuck at the top of the gravel in the bog. I could put a screen in-between the garden and the bog. Then clean that out manually every x days (please see diagram).

Note that the orientation of the “Bog” and the “Garden” are fixed due to available space.

side viewb.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am sure that you can devise a solution. Floating debris is always a bugaboo in either a 'bog' or Water Garden because of the blocking action caused by the floating and emergent foliage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm impressed with your design! Your extensive planning and forethought will serve you well. Much better than posting later "hey, I built this pond and here's all the mistakes I made... HELP!"

Ask a Question