Water Hyacinths Need Help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So my WH were doing good until I separated them to make more. They are getting all brown. At first I thought maybe the sun-cause it has been in the 90's here for days. But I moved one planter into the shade and today they are worse. So I pulled some out and noticed that the roots are quite short. I thought the DIY ring would be okay--however I think the fish are sucking the roots down through the holes and still munching. The larger ring in the photos has a screen for a bottom, making it impossible for them to get the roots. So I have taken a few out and put them in a bucket with the product in the photo. Not sure if this will help or how long to leave them in there.

But here is the question. I don't have anymore screen left--so I would like to know if I can lay some of the weedblock, pictured, in the bottom of the rings that have the holes and then just put the plants on top. I don't know if it would be safe or if that weedblock has a chemical in it. Does anyone know if that may work?

Thanks
P7170019.JPG
P7170020.JPG
P7170023.JPG
P7170024.JPG
P7170025.JPG
P7170027.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I guess it would depend on how much water that particular weed block would let through. Some kinds are more porous than others.
How would I check that? just hold it up and dump water on it? The rings sit in the water a little bit--so the plants would be in the water--you are saying if the weed block doesn't let enough water flow--they will not grow properly?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Water hyacinths can be picky. I have a rotation that I put mine through - they do great in my pondless waterfall and my patio pond; not so great in the big pond, most likely (as you have noticed) because the fish love nibbling the roots. So I move them from location to location to keep them growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Water hyacinths can be picky. I have a rotation that I put mine through - they do great in my pondless waterfall and my patio pond; not so great in the big pond, most likely (as you have noticed) because the fish love nibbling the roots. So I move them from location to location to keep them growing.
Thank you. I only have the koi pond--Would love a bog filter, but we don't have the room to place it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some people use a bucket or a kiddie pool as their second location - keep rotating your plants between the two locations and they will always look good in the pond!

Ask a Question