water leak or evaporation

Reaction score
I inherited a pond when I purchased my new home. It's about 800 gal. with a waterfall that drops about 2'. It loses about 40to50 gals. a day. I've patched and plugged every hole or crack I could find. When I have it off there is no water loss from the pond the filter or the plumbing. It only looses water while the waterfall is running. What is an acceptable amount of water loss per day?

Reaction score
hat is an acceptable amount of water loss per day?

Whatever you are willing to put back in.

Is there any way the water is getting out somewhere by the waterfalls, either behind or to the sides? Is there a lot of water splashing, which would speed up evaperation.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
does the water fall have a liner behind the rocks ??? that is a lot of water loss

Reaction score
It's made out of concrete with a small upper pool that over flows down a water fall into a concrete pond. There's a liner under the concrete but if it leaks it goes between the concrete and the liner. I've tried everything to fill the cracks and holes but nothing changes. What is the average water loss from ponds with a waterfall? I know this could'nt be from evaporation and splash, there's way to much loss.
I tied into my sprinkler system to keep up with the water loss. I would like to get a feel of how much water I'm wasting due to leaking.
Thanks for the response.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
can you see all of the line going up to your water fall??? if not ,,try to run a test hose from the pump....see what happens......right now ,i add water once a week. never kept up with the gal. have two falls one 2ft one 3 ft

Reaction score
I too have bought a house with a koi pond. Upper pond is about 12ft. diameter, it flows down a water fall to a smaller pond. Shutting off the pump the lower pond holds water. The upper pond has lost 2 3/4 ft in two weeks. I have since removed the fish to the lower pond, drained the upper pond, Removed the plug in the drain at the bottom of the upper pond. Thus far I have not seen an obvious area the upper pond is leaking at. My next step is to pressure wash the upper pond liner. It is epdm material. I will do a closer inspection for damage or leaks. I kind of feel like I am in a fish pond fishing for something I am not sure what? I thought when I got to this point the leak would be blatant. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'd like to put a die in it with some fancy CSI light that would show the leak area. !!!!!!!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You should let the upper pond drain to its lowest level. That is where the leak is at.

Reaction score
Thank you. I had already let the water seep to its own level. But did not find a smoking Gun. After disassembling one side of the pond and repairing the drain, that I knew had an issue. I power washed the whole liner and finally found a small 1" slit in the side of the liner. I guess I could put a patch on such a small slice but what is the best adhesive material to use on a vertical surface ? The liner is an epdm material so there must be something out there.
Again thanks for the support and encouragement. I was beginning to think I was going in the wrong direction, but you were right it was there.

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am new. I am living Arlington, Tx. I looking for mainternance for Pond cleaning, service and repair it. Please, help me.. Thanks
Van

Ask a Question