Water Lettuce

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's illegal in LA, as well, but there is a place here that sells it (water hiacynth, too). I think what it boils down to is responsibility. What I acquire does NOT go into local waterways, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used parrot's feather in floating baskets last year for the first time and fell in LOVE with it!!! The only problem I had was after the koi spawned, their eggs were protected there and I had baby koi!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, it was for me, as my pond is only 1700 gallons and I have adult koi, so didn't want to increase my fish load. I was able to catch and re home about 25 small koi today, to a neighbor with a bigger pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've come across plants that I've wanted to find out they're illegal here too. Parrots Feather being one of them.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's illegal in LA, as well, but there is a place here that sells it (water hiacynth, too). I think what it boils down to is responsibility. What I acquire does NOT go into local waterways, etc.
What is boils down to here in Florida is if you are a retailer or contractor and you sell (or give away) Water Lettuce or any other plant on the invasive list you will likely lose your license and pay a hefty fine.

Ask a Question