Water Moccasin Snake

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
A large water moccasin snake was seen on the edge of our pond several weeks ago by a yard worker. Once in or around a pond do these snakes "claim" the pond and stay? Being a poisonous snake we are very concerned. I seen snake away products. Do they work long term or harm pets or other wildlife?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@fishin4cars Might be a good one to ask about snakes.

Personally, I don't think those products work, but as sure as I say that, there will be 20 posts from folks saying the opposite. And that's a good question regarding territorial behavior -- I'm going to look that up. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think they would travel too far from "home," as long as they are finding enough to eat.

My question would be to know if it was indeed a Water Moc. vs a non-venomous water snake. I would think that a water moccasin would tend to live around larger bodies of water as opposed to a smaller pond, but I'm sure they can be found anywhere.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
A large water moccasin snake was seen on the edge of our pond several weeks ago by a yard worker. Once in or around a pond do these snakes "claim" the pond and stay? Being a poisonous snake we are very concerned. I seen snake away products. Do they work long term or harm pets or other wildlife?
I deal with these guys and copperheads all the time on my land especially at the stream head and the WM seem to be very aggressive and teritorial but if you really want to get rid of them the only way I have had any luck is by trap and release. If you want I can send you a paper on how o build a trap.
PS: These snakes are super aggressive so if you see one within 30 feet of you then you need to slowly and calmly turn and walk away as quickly as possible but don't run. I got bit by one when I was 17 and I thought my right leg was gonna rot off and I eventually got MRSA and had to stay in hospital for 4 days

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Big Lou PS: Do you have a lot of frogs in your pond? if so then that is likely what will keep the snake fed and going so maybe by getting rid of his dinner will get rid of him. I know that if my cupboard is empty I will get in the car and leave the house fast :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
All good points. Since I did not see the snake myself a definite WM identification is not certain. The yard worker saw the snake rapidly headed for cover under the small pond side deck. We have had black water and rat snakes over the years. Each came and went. I err on the side of precaution due to any possible risk.

Does anyone know of a way to poke and prod about to ensure the area is safe?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
All good points. Since I did not see the snake myself a definite WM identification is not certain. The yard worker saw the snake rapidly headed for cover under the small pond side deck. We have had black water and rat snakes over the years. Each came and went. I err on the side of precaution due to any possible risk.

Does anyone know of a way to poke and prod about to ensure the area is safe?
The safest way is with a couple 20 dollar bills... Give them to someone else and have them do the poking and prodding for you ;) Seriously though I would not go in that building without having on a couple pairs of jeans and a very thick and tall pair of boots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My wife is petrified of snakes. We would surely have to sell the house. She saw a grass snake swimming in one of the ponds about 10 years ago. She will never go into either pond again.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
My wife is petrified of snakes. We would surely have to sell the house. She saw a grass snake swimming in one of the ponds about 10 years ago. She will never go into either pond again.
My Godmother is the same way. I personally had a phobia most of my life but strangely enough getting bit the first time cured my phobia and made me more inclined to deal with them rather than be gravely afraid. My motto is you first try to relocate and only if that fails then you eliminate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
True story.

My father, along with most of our village's men were keen outdoorsmen. By the time father passed he had shown and taught me about many creatures, including snakes. As a eleven year old many of the local men and their sons took me fishing, hunting and camping. Can't do any of those without exposure to snakes.

Our next door neighbor, a retired man, was a extremely dedicated fisherman. Too the extreme sometimes. The highlight trip began with a predawn long ride followed by a long boat ride. The first big event was when Mr. H hooked a large mouth bass then it promptly getting tangled in an submerged tree top. Picture a seventy year plus old man sliding over the side of the boat swimming to the tree then diving to retrieve his lure and fish. I was amazed.

It was then my turn for a show stopper. I cast my lure to the far shore edge just as I had been taught. This technique was a tried and try method to hook a big one. Oh, I hooked a big one alright. A big water moccasin. This huge snake had reared upright in the water and was fighting me as hard as I was fighting it. Seeing that I was scared to death Mr. H calmed me down as he instructed me to reel the WM in, yes in. No cutting the line. The plan was to reel the WM to the boat so Mr. H could dispatch to the depths. As things happen, his plan did not include my line getting wrapped around the paddle with the snake headed straight for our boat. In the last moment brave Mr. H grabbed his snips and cut the line and snake free. We both caught nice bass that day but the water moccasin was indelibly stamped into my memory. God bless Mr. H and the other kind folks in our tiny village.

I hate snakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Boy oh Boy big lou am I glad we dont have anything in the way of poisonous snakes in the UK [well the adder is but only mildly so]:happy:
Cant help you on this one bro sorry :(

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lou, sorry I'm late getting to this. Snake away and moth balls both are distractions, do they work, yes, are they 100% efficient, NO That said, BOTH are dangerous to wildlife like squirrels, rabbits, and such plus dogs and cats so be sure and place under stones of under rocks to avoid animals eating them if you use either. Only way I have found to safely remove a venomous snake is baiting and trapping it. a cheap trap and effective trap is some leaf netting rolled up with a dead fish, or frog wrapped in. Once captured, DO NOT TRY AND RESCUE! The snake gets tangled in the netting and will become extremely aggressive. I do not recommend poking even with a long stick, chances are you won't find it, If you do, the will and do become aggressive and I have seen them swim at someone that would not leave it alone. The good news is most Vipers will avoid human contact or contact with anything predators, They are usually very secretive and if they see a lot of motion will usually move on to a quitter area to hide and hunt. Good luck and be careful. If possible find a safe place and a bright spot light type flask light and watch the edges of the pond at night. If it's there that's when it's most likely to be seen.

Ask a Question