water temp

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
my pond water here in the uk is still around 58 gets a little colder at night but not much, i was wondering how many others still have warmish weather and are still feeding there fish ?

rdk

Reaction score
Here in New England early this week we had freezing temps for two days and the water temp reached 50 degrees exactly I stop feeding and the fish hide for two to three days. After that we now have a heat wave and the water temp is over 60 degrees. The fish are almost jumping out of the water before the food hits the pond. They are so hungry.. All I could do is cut the amount of food I giving them and the times I am giving it.

Reaction score
Stroppy - it's the same here in BC's Lower Mainland (zone 8a). Pond is fluctuating between 55 and 59 degrees, and I'm still feeding twice a day, although I switched to wheatgerm food a couple weeks ago.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes chilligirl im feeding mine wheatgerm too ...and rdk mine are always looking for food, ive also been feeding mine peas ...they love them more than there fish food :biggrin:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep..canned peas are fine...but you should still skin them the skin is very hard to digest. just squeese them and the 'meat' comes out after a few youll get it where you get one nice glob.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
My water temp is ranging between 50 and 60. I've been feeding once a day on the warmer days and not at all when it gets near 50. I've noticed that even when they're acting frisky and hungry, they are rather uninspired once the food hits the water.

I've also had an issue with little white spots, I guess it's ick, though I've only seen it on three of the fish, and only spot one on each. One on the side, one on the back and one on the side of the head. I treated the whole pond last week with an all around fish medicine (for a variety of diseases) and don't see anything now but will keep an eye on it. Hope I'm doing all of this right!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I haven't checked my temp of the water yet but i am feeding winter food 2 times a day.
my koi are getting a little slower , but still want to eat
when i start wearing long sleeve shirts i will check the pond temp

Reaction score
I've got 59-60 degree water here, and I'm feeding 2x a day for the last several weeks. I can see that they are not as crazed for the food as they were in the summer. But then again, it's the wheat germ based autumn stuff which isn't as tasty. Well, I know this because I've tasted it. LOL! The summer stuff is definitely yummier. LOL!

Ask a Question