Weird discoloration

Reaction score
I have a koi that we received as a fry in a pot that a friend had been putting plants in that got in her skimmer...anyway, long story short...he has gotten big and is about 2 years old and has always had some different texture and coloring on his snout...but the other day I noticed that he had a tan spot on his forehead. Will try to upload a pic..( he is the bright orange one).no other spots on him. I also have one comet that was full orange and has recently started showing some white patching(haven't been able to get a good pic of that fish). None of the others show any of these symptoms...should I be concerned? Treatment options?
IMG_1244.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes the food we feed them on will instigate a change in the colour of our koi especially in the Hi "Red" has your friend just changed her feed.

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks, I wish I could get a good picture of it, but as y'all have said, I do know they change color and food can have an impact on that, it's just the large orange Koi's spot doesn't look like a color I've ever seen, but he does not seem to be in distress and still eating and swimming normally.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could he have a fungus or rot of some sort or maybe just a defect from where he was at

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can you try and get a closer pic of the koi's face? It does look like a fungus or bacteria infection from the pic shown. Also what are your water parameters. and temp. This time of year I have seen several ponds going through PH swings due to lack of KH. I've also seen people having issues with high nitrates as lots of water is evaporating and less gets changed out during rains and such. many times we will just top ponds off this time of year and forget that there is the possibility nitrates can climb and KH can drop. These two stressors can make smaller issues stand out and can cause unexplained color changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last but not least it may be Hiku where the koi looses its red through this

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, look close at the top lip of the orange Koi. I think there is something more severe going on.
M'mmm didnt notice that Larkin it could just be the light of the photo but it may also be something else .
Could we have a close up of the koi's head please tengbells ?

Dave

Reaction score
The other whitish areas have been there since he was little...I'm going to try to download a pic.
DSC00874.JPG
DSC00872.JPG
DSC00870.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00869.JPG
    DSC00869.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tengbells the good news is there isnt anything wrong with this koi judging from your second lot of photographs all is well:happy:(y)
OK what is Hiku or Hi-kui well it is a disease that attacks the red pigmentation in our koi in Japanese that is what it also translates too.."A disease that causes a loss of red pigmentation"!!!!.....:)
It will normally show itself as small areas of discolouration in the red areas of the koi's pigmentation , the red will look faded compared to the rest of the red on the koi .:(
Second an area of pigmentation will take on a brownish haze , thirdly small dark brown areas may apear from pinhead size to that of a small US in your case coin now whatever my descriptions you'll also notice a thickening of the overlying epidermal tissue of your koi :(
Trigger factors an over exposure to sunlight being the most likely because excessive sunlight can cause small tumours of the red pigment cells damaging the koi's DNA . :eek::(
Secondly poor maintenance of the pond and its systems can cause attacks of Hi-Kui to become worse as waste and detritus in the system can attract anaerobic bacteria, which will view these otherwise affected areas as an ideal site to settle and cause secondary infections which we dont want:( .
Prevention of this is obvious with good healthy maintenance this stage can be avioded , I wont go into the treatment with scalpel's to remove it as I'm not abig believer in cosmetic surgery on koi ;)

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question