What have you been smoking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got my wife an electric, outdoor smoker for Christmas. She has been using it a lot.

DSCF8592.jpg

DSCF8593.jpg

DSCF8595.jpg

She started out with a 9 pound boneless pork belly. It was cut into 3 pieces, and placed in a rub of dark maple syrup, salt and pepper. It cured in the fridge for 5 days. Then, it was rinsed thoroughly, and patted dry, with a paper towel. It was put back in the fridge, on a rack for 24 hours, to dry out.

Water was added to the pan over the burner and wood chip tray, the smoker was heated to 225, and the timer was set for 3 hours. Apple wood chips were added at the beginning, and every 30/40 minutes after that.

smoked%20bacon%203.jpg

smoked%20bacon%204.jpg

I gotta say, it came out way better than I thought it would. I liked it a lot better than store bought bacon.

smoked%20bacon%202.jpg

smoked%20bacon%201_1.jpg

DSCF8589.jpg

DSCF8591.jpg

Anyone else smoke their own foods?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
lmao....................bad bad bad...............

Mike I am thinking of buying a smoker, how is that one doing for you? I need to investigate them.
We love it. The controls are all digital, and it has a timer. You can easily add chips, without opening the door. There's a handle on the side. You pull it out, add a handful of wood chips, slide it back in, and turn it so they fall into the tray.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We use an old fashioned big chief smoker, and just pop a cardboard box on top when we want to do cold smoking (cheese!). Our last homegrown pork belly was turned into bacon recently, so now I'm motivated to get the pasture back in shape for pigs.

We smoke salmon when we can get some (yay for generous neighbors) and have made & smoked a few kinds of sausage. But bacon is the all time favorite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We use an old fashioned big chief smoker, and just pop a cardboard box on top when we want to do cold smoking (cheese!). Our last homegrown pork belly was turned into bacon recently, so now I'm motivated to get the pasture back in shape for pigs.

We smoke salmon when we can get some (yay for generous neighbors) and have made & smoked a few kinds of sausage. But bacon is the all time favorite.
YeP! I've got one of those too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here's the fish for the next experiment. Actually, I pan fried the smaller one for breakfast, along with a side of Doritos.

DSCF8599.jpg

DSCF8602.jpg

I put the filets in the brine for 8 hours, then rinsed them off, and patted dry with a paper towel. They went into the smoker for 2 hours at 225 degrees. I was generous with the apple wood chips, adding a handful 3 times, while they were smoking.

DSCF8604.jpg

DSCF8608.jpg

The fish stayed nice and moist. When pressing down gently on a filet, you could see ample juice rise. Nice, strong, smoked taste, and the chili powder added a little kick. I would feel real comfortable serving this to guests. If anyone is interested, here's the brine recipe. I figured I had 2 1/2 pounds of filets so, I cut the recipe in half. The important thing is, to be sure the filets are completely covered with the liquid.

DSCF8605.jpg

DSCF8607.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a smoker after reading this, it had been on my list for quite a while, finally did it.

So far, smoked a turkey, moist tasty done in under 3 hours. Two chickens, yummy, ribs, yummy and just yesterday smoked pork belly the best bacon I have ever eaten.

Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my husband bought exact same thing, used it once and tried to mess around with it and so he left it undone for a year then throw it away..... now he wants that egg thing...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never heard about a big green egg. Just looked it up, neat looking!
upload_2016-10-8_6-20-28.png

I bought my sister a smoker 15 or so yrs ago, it is still smoking just fine. So I bought the same one. I prefer not messing with charcoal, this one is electric, you use 2-4 ozs of dry wood to smoke with. Very well insulated so it does not care about smoking out in the snow.
20160914_161057.jpg
20160914_161120.jpg

Ask a Question