What is this plant?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is and how do I get rid of it? It just showed up in the last few weeks. I've been trying to remove it, but it keeps coming back with a vengeance. I try not to use chemicals in my pond. It's a backyard pond about 1200 gallons.
20140721_174229_1.jpg
20140727_200628.jpg
20140727_200648.jpg

Reaction score
I do have goldfish, and they won't go anywhere near it. With the bad winter we had this last year I had to replace all but 2 plants. I did buy them from a new place this year, so maybe I did have a stowaway. Would it really take two months for a stowaway to appear?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Its fairy moss. I like that plant but unfortunately my fish did too. good thing I got it for free!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe it was imported by a bird? But it's so small I suppose it could take two months for you to notice it was there, especially if it's been cool.

Reaction score
Don't think I would want to eat it, especially if my fish won't. I will just keep on scooping out what I don't want until this winter arrives.... I have to admit, the pond has been a little clearer since it showed up. Since I don't do chemicals, I guess you could call it a blessing in disguise to help with the algae. Which has been bad this year. I have a clear, green pond. Does that make sense. I can see the fish, but the water is green....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like that it appears to be keeping your water clear -- it's probably helping to shade the water, as well. I wish I could keep it in my pond [that, and duckweed], but my silly gold fish devour it.

Ask a Question