What is this?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was cleaning my filters today and found this in 2 of the 3 inter-connection 55 gal. filters. Beige grainy stuff. It is all over the media and grids. I didn't find it in any other filters. Water testing done this am.
ph- 7.5
ammon. - 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 40
gh - 90
I'm hoping it is algae that has died off from shade cloth being put over the filters but it looks like a colony of something.

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 357
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 323
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 331

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The 3rd and 4th pix look like some kind of eggs, maybe snails? But sure are a lot of them. Do you have large snails in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought the first two looked like algae and fish waster and the last two , some type of eggs? I'm not sure, it could be the pictures......interested to hear what others say.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hadn't thought about eggs. I do have a lot of snails. These are stuck on the materials as I didn't notice them until I had rinsed the media off. With all the problems members are having this year I am getting paranoid!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
hadn't thought about eggs. I do have a lot of snails. These are stuck on the materials as I didn't notice them until I had rinsed the media off. With all the problems members are having this year I am getting paranoid!
mrschem life in your filters such as snails, mayfly type flies and larve, red worms, leaches even pill bugs are an indicator that your filter is working well .
I've a feeling that they are snail eggs

Dave

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As others point out, it looks like some type of eggs suspended in some form of slime algae. Ever considered fish eggs? Goldfish and koi eggs can appear white to beige...
image.jpg
image.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As others point out, it looks like some type of eggs suspended in some form of slime algae. Ever considered fish eggs? Goldfish and koi eggs can appear white to beige...
View attachment 73461 View attachment 73462
What do they taste like?
Didn't try them yet!

I have seen fish eggs before and this is patches of brown.The ones on the plastic grids look like eggs but on the screen and filter material it is covered with a slime.

Dave 54- I'm used to finding all sorts of creepy crawlies in my filters but this was a first. I got shipments of new plants last week and didn't think to clean them off.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sounds like snail eggs may have hitched a ride to your pond on your new plants. :wideyed:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Or..............they could be the dreaded Darectius Erecti.................they crawl up your arms and imbed in your flesh and cause you to dance like a Cobra snake on caffeine while bubbles flow out your nose and ears in the color of a purple haze....................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads