What kind of air stones do you use in your pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The title says it all. I use the ones pictured. They put out a lot of air and are compatible with my pump [not sure the size, but it's a PondMaster and has an attachment for 6 stones]. I have them split between pond, QT, and Skippy. I'd like something that puts out finer bubbles than these do.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You're right in that these bad boys are really good compared to others. I cant find them in large sizes petco and petsmart, so i ended up buying other types. Eventually I'll get them from amazon.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have laguna ones and number one thing people do not do is clean them .The pores get clogged.I have the 12 port one and put air stones in both my filters and my lily pond .One in my waterfall pond and the rest are in the pond at different heights

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have laguna ones and number one thing people do not do is clean them .The pores get clogged.I have the 12 port one and put air stones in both my filters and my lily pond .One in my waterfall pond and the rest are in the pond at different heights
How do you clean yours?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I use my more powerful aerator ( which I didn't use this summer ) it came with a rubber wand type thing. I disperses LOTS of fine bubbles. However, It broke, so thinking it must need to be replaced each season. I'd like to use it next summer, but will probably get some Haku disks, or whatever is compatible. A plus to this aerator, is it's weighted tubing.

On my AP20, I use something like @bettasngoldfish does, which I buy from my fish hatchery. I've ordered a new diaphragm kit, so will have a new one going into winter and will get new stones too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dip them in peroxide and water and use a soft tooth brush .Some of those rubber ones cost as much or more than the aerator .Tammy got a weighted hose and borrowed my drill and put tiny holes in it and ran it in a semi circle around the pond .But I wondered if one of those solid rubber soaker hoses would work .i have a new one

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
The title says it all. I use the ones pictured. They put out a lot of air and are compatible with my pump [not sure the size, but it's a PondMaster and has an attachment for 6 stones]. I have them split between pond, QT, and Skippy. I'd like something that puts out finer bubbles than these do.
View attachment 95140
How long is that one?
Tried the round disc one, do not like it, got some rectangular ones about 1" wide and 4" long they make waves in the pond but had to weight them on the bottom to keep them facing up.
like these....http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Air-Sto...956768?hash=item1c4e2253a0:g:dY8AAOSwAuNW5k6B

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I HATE my airstones! They never stay right side up and the fish pull the air line out ALL THE TIME! The lines have to be tucked between the rocks or they float (grrr! How about selling these things with weighted lines!) and then the fish swim in and out between the line and the pond wall and before you know it the lines are disconnected AGAIN! Why no clip to hold the line on the AIRSTONE? Can you see it's a hot spot? Haha!

We have a four port aerator with plain old disc style airstones. Looking to upgrade - suggestions welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh and we bought the long rectangular ines like you posted @peter hillman and the output was too small to fit our lines! I thought those would be perfect, but nooooo! :mad:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My stones are weighted, they don't float nor have I had trouble with them falling off the airline tubing.
Do you weight them, or are they just heavy enough that they stay down? Mine stay down on their own, but I have to weight the tubing.

Also, how long do they last and how much air do they put out? I read where the largest one is 3" X 1" X 1". What I'm using now is about 8" long, so wondering about the difference in air flow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know they say that you should recut the air hose every year to give it a fresh fitting onto both the air stone and the aerator because the rubber becomes hard or brittle .I leave enough hose to cut it for 2 years and next year I will replace some of them .I bought the hose in 400 foot rolls .I prefer some of my air stones at different heights ,I think it helps the clarity of the water

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are heavy enough to stay down on their own (they also keep the airline tubing down as well)

I wonder if we are using the same type of tubing? I just use the clear airline you can buy at any pet store in the aquarium section.

As for the airstones I have never used the type you pictured above. Last year I bought a disk of some sort but it arrived broken. I think I ordered two of them but never ended up even trying it as I bought the other aerator that sits on the bottom of the pond and I liked it better.

I think they make a decent amount of bubbles. Certainly better than some of the other stones that seem to be clogged up even when they are new. Don't forget the air pump you are using will also dictate to some point how much aeration your getting from the stones.

Honestly I don't clean my air stones. If they start to get blocked up I might give them a rinse to clean them but if that doesn't work I toss them and buy new ones (they don't cost that much) I also keep extra new ones on hand just in case i might need them (comes in handy when you have multiple tanks/ponds etc)

Ask a Question