What we don't See...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
Human Eyes just miss Everything and here's a very good example. The first photo was taken with just a normal lens and you can just make out the orange blob.

P4090019.jpg

And then I took this photo with a X250 Lens.

P4090018.jpg

It's an Aphid with either a Tick or a Mite, but I'm not sure which one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Human Eyes just miss Everything and here's a very good example. The first photo was taken with just a normal lens and you can just make out the orange blob.

View attachment 82957

View attachment 82958

That's awesome! Great photo!

My undergrad degree was in biology, and I was always amazed by what we could see under a microscope that was invisible to the naked eye. I haven't used a microscope in quite a few years now, but this is making me miss peering through a microscope into the unseen world below.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 82957

View attachment 82958
Pretty darn cool that is you and another member should get together , why not look at what @johan does with lenses and when I say it'll blow you away :happy:
Its termed as extreme macro photography :cool:
Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Tiny Termite I thought about you yesterday -- and had a good laugh at my attempts at viewing and photographing the world of insects. We have a fruit fly invasion, so have DIY traps set up in the kitchen. Trying out a new trap design. Was excited when a couple of FF's showed up -- (@max384 Watching them always brings back memories of high school biology -- the genetics experiment where you breed to see what color eyes you get.....). Was waiting, waiting, waiting for the FF's to go down the straw, when two did. Grabbed the camera (iPhone), but they moved.....and I SWEAR they mooned me! (both had red eyes, BTW)

image.jpg

EDIT: I hit "save" too soon, so you might only be reading a partial post.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
@Tiny Termite I thought about you yesterday -- and had a good laugh at my attempts at viewing and photographing the world of insects. We have a fruit fly invasion, so have DIY traps set up in the kitchen. Trying out a new trap design. Was excited when a couple of FF's showed up -- (@max384 Watching them always brings back memories of high school biology -- the genetics experiment where you breed to see what color eyes you get.....). Was waiting, waiting, waiting for the FF's to go down the straw, when two did. Grabbed the camera (iPhone), but they moved.....and I SWEAR they mooned me! (both had red eyes, BTW)

View attachment 82982

EDIT: I hit "save" too soon, so you might only be reading a partial post.....

What a lovely reply, thanks very much. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good ol' drosophila melanogaster! Now THAT's something I haven't thought about in quite awhile!
Clew us mear mortals in I'd swear you were talking in Latin there Michey,
Or dos that translate to fruit fly ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Clew us mear mortals in I'd swear you were talking in Latin there Michey,
Or dos that translate to fruit fly ?
You are correct, Dave! It's the scientific name of fruit flies. It's way more fun to say than to spell, though! We did that breeding experiment thingy back in the day too and the only thing I remember about it is their scientific name.

I also remember in my Pathogenic micro class in college (I'm a science nerd), I was the only person out of about 20 classmates that was able to extract malaria out of the belly of a skeeter. I don't know how I did it, or what it looked like, but it's my claim to fame, lol.

Oh, my other party trick is that i'm a natural carrier of Staphylococcus Aureus! Who wants me to sneeze on them?

OK, thread hijack over! Thanks for indulging me =D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You are correct, Dave! It's the scientific name of fruit flies. It's way more fun to say than to spell, though! We did that breeding experiment thingy back in the day too and the only thing I remember about it is their scientific name.

I also remember in my Pathogenic micro class in college (I'm a science nerd), I was the only person out of about 20 classmates that was able to extract malaria out of the belly of a skeeter. I don't know how I did it, or what it looked like, but it's my claim to fame, lol.

Oh, my other party trick is that i'm a natural carrier of Staphylococcus Aureus! Who wants me to sneeze on them?

OK, thread hijack over! Thanks for indulging me =D

you think thats hard to spell Michey try the condition of MD varient my good lady has I warn you now its a tounge twister .
The condition she suffers from its just one of the many varients of Muscular Dystrophy and its called Facioscapularhumeral Muscular dystrophy or to thm in the know FSH :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question