What would you do differently?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm currently in the process of planning to move my koi pond from one house to another. The original pond is almost 15 years old, 15 x 20 about 2500 gallons. I put it what I thought was the latest and great back then, UV light, skimmer, waterfall feature, bottom drain etc. (biofalls filter and skimmer, Aqua UV, too many pumps to count over the years). I have a bare liner with no rocks in the pond except for the coping stones around the sides.

Now I'm moving the pond to my new house and have the chance to change anything I didn't like about the first set up. I'm going with approximately the same size but since the new pond won't' have a wall to be against my waterfall is going to be different because I don't want a volcano in the middle of the yard. Thinking more of a river option this go around.

So my first question is to people, what would you do differently if you were going to do it all again? I have a submersible pump now and I've been thinking of doing that again instead of an external pump as since it's in the middle of the yard it will be hard to conceal it to my liking. Or am I missing out on something if I don't switch to an external pump? I've also been eyeing the Savio skimmerfilter (love the UV in the unit feature and can get a Aqua UV set up) and the Savio Livingponds filter (love the bottom drain idea there - no more dragging out the wet shopvac to clean out the box). Am I being sucked into something I won't like / need?

The other things I'm trying to do this time around is choose options that are economical to run - I run my pump year around and of course my UV and pond lights only in the warmer months being in Northern Illinois. Also thinking of putting my bottom drain under the liner rather than on top of the liner but the thought of cutting a hole in my liner just gives me the willies. My old bottom drain is passive, just gravity fed into the skimmer box. I like the idea of some of the newer ones having more of an active system (or at least that is how I'm reading some work now).

Thanks - this is a lot but any tips or advice this go around will be appreciated. I plan on starting to buy things and have found some coupons on Webb's Water Gardens.com and they have price matching. Any thoughts there is also welcome. I hope to break ground in early April with the plan to move my koi in May after the water starts it's cycle.

Margo

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bigger, now abt 2400 gals, would do 5 - 8000 gals or maybe more
Different depths w/a walk in area w/steps
Stream connected to falls
Bog
High shelf and lower shelf all the way around
I would keep my nice high net hanging down sides to little fence all the way around to protect from darn heron

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since I rebuilt mine last year ,nothing I would really change ,but sure wish I could make the fish behave so they do not destroy plants .I have 2 laguna pumps a 2900 gph and a 2400 gph and a small pump that goes to the 2 uv's .I have always used 2 pumps in case one goes out there is no panic rush to buy a new one .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
can never go to big lol mine is a raised pond would have put in a viewing window, but there is still time. would have given more thought to pond lighting.
i have just installed a bottom drain, very scary but if you take your time and dont cut corners with glue, pipe and all other equipment not a problem i would not be with out mine,
2014-05-02 15.33.36.jpg
2014-05-02 15.31.29.jpg
2014-05-03 16.17.46.jpg
2014-05-18 18.16.04.jpg
2014-06-01 13.15.17.jpg
2014-06-01 16.13.40.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-05-03 16.17.56.jpg
    2014-05-03 16.17.56.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 2014-05-02 15.33.36.jpg
    2014-05-02 15.33.36.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 238

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think with koi a bottom drain would be great but like myself who just has goldfish none is really needed in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You have to build what you want, and what is right for you other people do things the way they think is right what works for them may not be what you want or are looking for,
I went for 10 yeas with the pump at the bottom of the pond and it worked very well, but when I built the new pond I didn't want the hassle of winters left over sludge
may be im a bit idle lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd plum for the bottom drain too especially with koi being such prodigious producers of waste and all not forgetting the 4" slide valve to cut it off from the pond for ease of clean Vortex and filters

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have strait sides on my pond, just a shallow shelf for rocks to hide the liner. I wished I would of put in some deeper shelf for plants.
I do have a stair step walk in area which I am so glad I did. It would be nice to have a bottom drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have strait sides on my pond, just a shallow shelf for rocks to hide the liner. I wished I would of put in some deeper shelf for plants.
I do have a stair step walk in area which I am so glad I did. It would be nice to have a bottom drain.
Thats ok but if your building a formal koi pond there is no need for plants .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Well, we inherited an already-existing pond when we bought this house... but if I really had to pick something I would have changed about the initial build, I would've put the skimmer box closer to the house so I didn't have to shovel a path out to it every time it snows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've been jinxed with punctures and mysterious leaks. I'm fighting one right now in this very cold winter in northeast Pennsylvania. I'm losing about 100 gallons every two days. So, when the weather warms up, I will be replacing yet another liner. It's been very frustrating, but I'm going to give it one more try before I give up this hobby! This time I plan on dividing my 1500 gallon pond so that it appears as one on the surface, yet has a wall in the middle at half the depth. This way if there's another leak, at least one side will still hold water (I hope). I can then let the fish swim to the good side while the other side leaks down until I can make a repair. In effect two ponds in one. By the way, this liner was new this past summer. Very frustrating.

Ask a Question