Whats this fish?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I found one of my female swordtails headless and tailess in the pond this morning. As far a know I have nothing in the pond that would do that. I have a few of these fish below which I thought were large female sword tails. Can anyone identify them for me? The other fish I have in the pond are goldfish, white clouds and medaka's. I also have a some kind of noughteless snails that were introduced with some plants. The largest of which is about 20mm (3/4") Whatever it is that has done this to my fish needs to be rehoused. Can anyone help?

20160207_115400.jpg

20160207_114439.jpg

20160207_114433.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I forgot to say it is about 6cm (2 1/4") long. I will check out Mollies and see what they look like.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I agree the fish may have died and the others nibbled at it, seen this type of body in pet stores. Hard to tell what the other fish is from the top, can you get a side view pic?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It is possible it just died. The other pond inhabitants will snack on it.

I am not sure what the other fish is.
I agree the fish may have died and the others nibbled at it, seen this type of body in pet stores. Hard to tell what the other fish is from the top, can you get a side view pic?

Yes I will try and get another picture. Its in the pond and I have to catch it first. haha

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Looks like a guppy but I am definitely not the identifier master
62364260.DlmpoMRh.IMG_072801.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Guppy !!!
Thank you that is good news. I think I put some guppies in the pond a long time ago and thought they had not wintered in there. They must have survived! That must have been about 3 years ago. And they were small. I haven't seen guppies this big before so didn't recognise them. Thank you. I know they wouldn't have killed fish. So it must be as addy1 and peter hillman said. It just died and they others saw it as a meal. Thanks Marshal Smaug and barryian. I may go and get a few more for company for them. There are only about 3 in the pond.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you catch one and post a side picture you would get an I'd here. Years ago I put some unwanted mollys from my aquarium in my pond for the summer. They did fantastic and bred like bunnies. Of course I didn't see them again after fall!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Have no idea what this fish may be, but if it is over 2.5 inches in length it is not a Guppy.
I have 3 guppy that are a little over 2.5" so it is not impossible to grow that large. Especially considering the environment they were in but, like I said in the OP I am only making a guess;)
PS: Only females will get anywhere close to that size though and not every type of guppy does. Majority of my other guppy are in the range of 1" up to about 2".

Ask a Question