When is it too late in the season to add new fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hi everyone! I have 3 new, beautiful shubunkins in quarantine, and I would love to add them to my pond before winter comes. I paid a lot of money for these fish, and I don't want to give them less of a chance of surviving our harsh winters. However, I really don't want to keep them in the quarantine tank for the next 8 months until spring arrives. I live in Northern Ohio, and we are officially into fall. My pond temp is currently 58* F. Day temps are low/mid 60s and night temps are low/mid 50s. Is it too late into fall; i.e. too cold, to add new fish now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
They have been in quarantine inside for 3 weeks.

Bought them online, so I would assume they were inside prior to purchase.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You should be able to put them in the pond with no problem if you gradually acclimate them to the water temp and ph. You could try slowly mixing in pond water to where they are now so they can adjust to the lower water temperature. A lot of people float their fish in a bag in the pond so their water temperature slowly gets close to the pond water temp so the fish don't go into shock. Goldfish are pretty hardy so it shouldn't be too big of a problem to introduce them into their new home. I usually have a small amount of water circulating in the winter over my waterfall and also have an air stone going which helps the fish over the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would do it now before the temp drop some more. I added a fish in April once, from my tank to the pond when the water just turned 48 F. (or 50 I'm not sure). It took me 2 days to try to gradually reduce the temperature from 75 F to 50 F for her. She lives.... not recommend though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If it were my fish, I'd try to get the water temps / conditions, compatible, and add them sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like meyers idea about moving the entire quarantine tank to an unheated area before moving to the pond. That way they can adjust slowly.

And if that isn't possible I would tend to lean toward keeping them indoors (if you have an appropriate set up) until the later spring when temperatures get warmer and stay more stable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, so I will keep them indoors for the winter. I can't move the quarantine tank. I'm hoping they will be OK in a 40 US gallon indoor pond. 3 fish about 6" each. I gave up aquariums years ago because I felt they were too much work with the water changes. Here I go again! LOL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally I would do the same rather than introduce them to the pond this late in the season.

I think they will be fine in a 40 gallon just be prepared to start doing water changes ;)

Would love to see photos of them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would rather add fish during the spring, that would give them a chance to properly fatten up for what could be a long period of time under the ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
okay. I'm going to be going against the grain here but I actually think it is safer to introduce them into the pond now. In the spring there are a number of things that work against the health of your fish like an abundance of bad bacteria that gets built up and a lack of beneficial bacteria that can break down ammonia and nitrates. I have never lost a fish in the fall but have lost many over the years in the spring unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I would rather add fish during the spring, that would give them a chance to properly fatten up for what could be a long period of time under the ice.
I completely agree with this. Getting new fish use to the temp is not the major issue you are facing this late in the season. It is the process of preparing them to fast for a prolonged period. If it were me I would not add them until spring.

Ask a Question