When to introduce new fish.

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the pond scene. I have a preformed liner about 150 gallons I'd say. I would like to introduce a couple fish hopefully Koi but I need more info. Since it is late August is it to late to introduce Koi to the pond? Should I wait till Spring?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
First of all, where do you live? UK, US, Australia?

Is your pond cycled?

I'm going to assume US or UK and the pond not cycled.

- I think most of us are going to say that a 150g pond is too small for koi. You might get away with a couple of small 2-3" koi for a few years until they get bigger.
- If your pond isn't cycled, then whatever fish you introduce is probably going to die.
- What kind of filter do you have?
- Personally, even if the pond was cycled, I wouldn't add fish at this time. I can feel nippiness in the air and this is the time when I feel the pond is getting into fall season but then I don't live in the South.

Reaction score
I'm in the US, New Jersey. The pond has been running for a week now with a couple plants. Multi level Bio filter and UV. I'm use to caring for exotics in big freshwater tanks 55-275 gallon tanks ( water temp is controlled ). This is my first shot at a pond and koi or goldfish. I'd be throwing in a few goldfish to help the cycle along. I wouldn't be adding till it has cycled and a partial water change. I would be adding a couple small koi like you said. Next season I plan on making the pond bigger and getting rid of the preformed liner. (Found the liner and decided to give it a shot before the season ended.) I'm curious if the couple small koi I put in now would make it through the winter.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I'm curious if the couple small koi I put in now would make it through the winter.
- If you're in NJ, I might be worried about the pond freezing over the winter. You will need to have a depth of at least 2.5ft or 3ft deep.
- If all pond conditions were perfect, then yes, but they probably wouldn't be very happy koi.

Reaction score
I was thinking that also, I talked to a few people that have ponds in the area and only about 1.5ft-2ft deep and with a waterfall and an extra hose to keep circulation they haven't fully froze over. I'll probably wait till spring and then just leave this pond running with plants and the one I build for fish. Thanks.

Reaction score
I would be worried about it freezing over due to the size of the pond. As far as putting small fish in the pond late in the season. They are baby fish in the wild that survive winter all the time. I usually go to an end of season sale Sept - Oct and grab a few small Japanese guys at a great price. Come spring time they have all been happy and healthy. We have similar weather, Im in Long Island east end by the Hamptons. But if your gonna dig the pond in spring I would wait to add fish until then. Its going to make you job a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the care of the fish when you start that project or the pond cycle for the new pond you are building.

Good luck

Ask a Question