When to stop feeding fish???

Reaction score
So I've been getting ready for the colder weather and trying to prepare myself for NOT feeding my koi once the water gets to 55 degree's..............Do I actually not feed the fish again until the water goes above 55?? I mean absolutely no food of any kind??? I assume that would be for at least 3-4 months.....................No kind of supplements or anything? Can my fish live without food for that long?

Thanks Rick

Reaction score
I feed very lightly between 55-50 and I completely stop at 50. Yes, completely stop - no food. They will not starve and they will not mind. They can't digest at temps >50. So no matter how you feel, please do not feed them.
There are lots of articles are threads about it on this site you want to research it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My large Koi stop feeding at 55 and the babies will eat down to 50. I didn't register any temps below 50 at feeding time even though I had some ice several times on the surface in the early morning. Take your temps Mid to late afternoon and feed at that time.

Reaction score
Goldfish body temperature is the same as their environment. Warmer temperatures speed up metabolism and colder temperatures slow metabolism (and digestion). There are several practical lessons to be had from looking at how goldfish would eat in their natural habitat and from studying the digestive process.

If you normally feed your fish several small meals during the day, begin cutting back to one, at midday, when the water is the warmest.

When the water temperature drops to approximately 65° F, start feeding a low protein, vegetable based, food. These are generally labeled as “Spring & Autumn” food. This type of fish food is better suited for the dietary requirements of pond fish in cool water and will not pollute the water with excess ammonia (fish do a very poor job of digesting protein at cold temperatures, so it ends up in your pond). Some water gardeners continue to feed their fish until they no longer come to the surface, but make sure you stop feeding pond fish when the water temperature falls below 42° F.

I do not know what type of pond you have, but if it is on the “natural” side there will be plenty of things in the pond for the fish to nibble on should they occasionally desire any food.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't know where you got the 42 degree information but I would appreciate it if you would share that source.

Reaction score
Ultra Balance notes on their fish food labeling to not feed fish when water temps are below 41 degrees.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Watch your temperature and the fish. During the winter, I measure daily during the transistion period.

Your fish will stop eating before that (41 degrees). Do not put food in when they are not feeding or you will poison your pond.

They are in the business of selling food. It is to their advantage that you keep feeding after the fish are dormant.

Reaction score
I got that temperature from a seminar I took taught by a PondCare® biologist. It is also in their brochures and other literature.

http://www.pondcare.com/Products/TechSheet.aspx?TechSheetID=11

You do not think they would teach a lower temperature just to sell food……

I do not in fact feed my fish that low as a rule. If they come to the surface looking for food, I usually give them some “Spring and Autumn” food. Just a few pellets is all they seem to want. It has been my experience that they will not even come to the surface looking for food when the temperature reaches around 50° – 55°.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I believe what I see. I take daily temperature readings (digital thermometer that has been calibrated) in my breeding and stock ponds. The large Koi don't eat below 55 degrees F and the small Koi don't eat below 50 degrees F.

It is irresponsible for anyone to provide information that is not verified by qualified people. People on this Forum rely on accurate information for the safety of their fish and ponds.

No matter the advice, or where it comes from, I reccommend to all, to see and check for yourself, when the fish stop feeding, act responsibly. To do this, take daily reading when the temperature starts to drop and observe.

This message was not aimed at anyone in particular, it is intended to educate all who have subscribed to "When to stop feeding fish???".

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
my koi are slowing way down..water temp today is 64 deg .have been feeding fall and spring food..when thay want it..

Ask a Question